Configuring Xbox 360 controller for Nintendo and Sega

Hello,

I’m confused on something I think is supposed to be pretty simple.

All the tutorials I’ve seen say to configure my Xbox 360 controller with the A/B and X/Y buttons reversed. IE: When input user 1 binds asks for button a, press button b, when it asks for button x, press button y, etc.

If I do this, does that mean all the Nintendo systems will be correct with the correct button layout on the controller, but all the Sega and Playstation systems, and other systems, will be wrong and I will have to remap them?

Or do I have that backwards?

Which systems will I have to remap the A and B buttons and X and Y buttons for (not asking for a complete list, just some examples) if I set the controller up the way the tutorials say with the buttons reversed to begin with?

Thanks,

–Jason

I’d really appreciate it if someone could clarify for me.

It’s been a long time since I used a real Nintendo or Sega controller and I just don’t know which systems I will have to remap the controls for if I set the Xbox 360 controller up the way the retropad wants with the actual a/b and x/y buttons on the controller swapped.

Which systems will then need to be remapped?

Thanks so much,

–Jason

You only need to bind the controller once. Retroarch control guide uses the layout of a SNES controller but also lists what direction the button is intended to be so for B it’ll have a down arrow because it’s the bottom button on the SNES controller. So yes if you do what it says, you’ll be doing things backwards on a xbox controller.

You map your controller once and it’ll work for nearly all cores. For cores that you don’t like the layout, there’s another control menu you can use to change what the buttons are for that one core without affecting others.

Thanks for your reply.

I’m familiar with the menu you’re talking about. Once a game is loaded, I know how to go to the remapping menu and change the a/b button and x/y button.

My question is, which systems need this changed so that an Xbox 360 controller will have the same layout as the original controller for the original system?

Am I correct in assuming the Nintendo systems do NOT need changed because when binding the controller for the first time, we’re already swapping the a/b and x/y buttons, rather it would be the Sega and Playstation x systems that would need changed?

Do I have this right?

Thanks,

–J

You don’t need to change anything for Sony consoles either since it’s very similar to SNES style controller. Ignore what letter is listed when binding controls, just look at what direction is listed. If you bind the bottom button on the 360 controller to the button listed as “down” in retroarchs controller input, it’ll correctly match the original consoles that have very similar controllers.

Sega controls don’t perfectly match to a 360 controller so it’s really up to you how you want to set it up, there’s no correct answer for it. I’m fine with leaving it as is though. A lot of games have builtin ways to rebind the buttons too which helps.