Connecting Computer to a CRT

So I bought a Tv that only has an antenna coaxial connection. I’m getting a Radeon 5450 for the VGA output, then a VGA to composite adapter, then a composite to coaxial adapter. Guess I’ll see if that works. I’ve read things about needing a transcoder? There doesn’t seem to be a lot of good information on how to do this. A lot of what I read has discontinued transcoders.

Does anyone have a recommendation of parts that I need that are actually available?

It can work but it may not be pretty. I myself abandoned that idea and use a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with RGB-Pi now.

Sure this can work, since the end result is going to be a (shoddy) 480i picture, you might as well look for an old GPU that has a composite out.

Could you explain what you got to set that up? I have no experience with raspberry pi lol.

Hardware

Software

The OS must be flashed to the SD, then booted up. Use their documentation to set them up.

More info: https://www.retrorgb.com/rpi240p.html

It’s definitely more than just plug&play until you get a manageable system up and running. A bit of Linux knowledge does help, too.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll look into this.

So I would also have to buy an adapter for the SCART cable? I can’t plug that into my TV.

Oh! Let’s clear this one up. You also wrote:

This doesn’t sound too good - and I admit that I had overread it.

If your TV really only has a Coaxial Antenna port and not even an RCA (yellow cinch), SCART or S-Video port, then you are out of luck. Even an old graphics card with TV out is not capable of giving you an antenna signal.

Some of my cables came in today. I was able to get a signal. It didn’t look too bad. And no motion blur! My ATI card comes on Tuesday and I’ll mess with it some more. If I get it working well I’ll definitely share my setup here.

1 Like

Ok I got crt emu up and running. I used arcade osd to test the resolutions and they work! Now the problem is getting swtichres to work in retroarch. Turning it on just causes retroarch to crash.

Anyone have any experience setting it up?

I don’t have experience with it, but I believe the docs have been fleshed out with a lot of good info.

Ok I managed to get swtichres on and video output confirms it’s switching resolution. The only issue is it doesn’t look any different? Looks about the same as 800x600 from my nvidia card. I have the scaling set to core provided if that means anything.

ok, your VGA-to-composite adapter is the most likely problem there, then. Many of them take whatever you feed them and turn it into 480i, whether you feed them 800x600 or 240p. If that’s what’s going on, there’s not much you can do about it besides look for another adapter that won’t do that.

Ok retroarch is back to crashing lol. Yeah that might be the issue. I ordered this yesterday: https://www.retrotekshop.com/products?pn=VGACTV2 It says it works all the way down to 240p. Guess I’ll report back when that comes in. I thought my current adapter might work because the adapter I was using yesterday just showed a garbled mess when I tried to down to 240p. This one actually showed a picture.

oh yeah, transcoder should work better, since it doesn’t actually re-encode anything.

i bought that same transcoder last month and got a lot of wavy lines. i returned it and got the linuxbot300 transcoder (for about 30$ less) and it worked perfectly. good luck.

1 Like

Thanks. I also got that one. I’ll return whatever isn’t the best.

I have the S-video/composite device from linuxbot3000 and it outputs 240p but there’s a whole lot of shimmer no matter what settings I use. After trying a bunch of different cables and power supplies, I’ve come to the conclusion that PC to composite output just isn’t worth it. The RGB-out devices probably don’t have this problem.

youre rite. pc to composite isnt worth it. vga to component, however, very much is worth it

I’m getting a Trinitron with composite and component so I’ll try both.