Constant Crashes with Mupen64Plus + Steam Big Picture [W7 x64]

I’m trying to run N64 games with Mupen64Plus while accessing RetroArch through Steam Big Picture mode. There seems to be an issue with this configuration, as anytime I attempt to load a ROM in this manner RetroArch crashes. If I start RetroArch through the desktop Steam interface or simply through RetroArch’s own .exe, I can load N64 roms without issue.

Is it possible that there’s an issue with the Steam Overlay that’s loaded when in Big Picture mode conflicting with Mupen64Plus? I’m able to use this same setup with SNES (bsnes balanced) and NES (NEStopiaUE) cores with no issues, but I haven’t tested any other 3D cores.

PC specs:

• Retroarch 1.5.0, gl display driver
  • Windows 7 Pro x64, updated
  • nVidia GTX 970, latest stable drivers
  • Intel 3570K, stock clocks
  • 16GB DDR3

Hmm, I’ve noticed a couple of crashes myself, but if I try again the game will usually load. The other day I did attempt Mario Kart 64 twice before, on the third time, it finally loaded without crashing.

So yeah, maybe Mupen really doesn’t like getting hooked into, although I use NVFBC which should just grab the frame buffer and not touch OpenGL at all. Don’t know.

I’m on W10 x64 by the way.

Hi Dan, thanks for the reply. Were you using Steam Big Picture mode as well?

Yeah, using Steam Link.

I see. My issue occurs on my PC non-streaming as well as streaming through Steam Link. I’ll experiment with the streaming settings and see if anything improves.

Well, for whatever reason, I’m not experiencing the crashes when playing from my PC in Big Picture mode today. I’m not sure what changed, as all I did was enable NVFBC (which shouldn’t matter when I’m not streaming) and re-build my N64 playlist.

Either way, I’ll take it!