Control remap on Mednafen PSX core

As far as I know I can remap pretty much ever button of DualShock except the ones I really need: the analog sticks. I wanted to remap the rigth analog stick (up and down) to R2 and L2 of my DS3 to take advantage pressure sensitive since Gran Turismo 2 features analog aceleration and brake. If I could do that it would make GT on pair with any modern racing game gamepad layout.

On short: Is it possible to map other buttons to analog sticks?

RetroArch doesn’t support analog triggers.

Thx for the reply. BTW do you consider adding it in the future?

It’s part of a larger issue, namely that digital and analog buttons are treated differently and can’t be remapped between one another, that we would like to resolve at some point but is a point of disagreement among the contributors. Some of us would like to make all buttons handled behind the scenes as analogs, just ones that snap between their min/max values, while others think that adds unnecessary complexity and would rather come up with something simpler (though I don’t think anything simpler has actually been proposed).

You could get that working by remapping the up and down right analog axis to your controller’s trigger axis with a game override. Turn on “Load Overrides Automatically” in Settings, Configuration, then create a Mednafen PSX folder in RetroArch\config. In that folder create Gran Turismo 2.cfg (filename must match your GT2 ISO name) and add add these lines to it with a text editor:

input_player1_l2_axis = "-3"
input_player1_r2_axis = "+3"
input_player1_r_y_plus_axis = "+4"
input_player1_r_y_minus_axis = "+5"

You get actual analog acceleration on the triggers this way. This also swaps L2 and R2 to up and down on the right stick in case you need them in game. This works for Xinput controllers; if you use a direct input controller, you’ll have to figure out the correct values to put between the quotes.

Now that I think about it, it would be a neat workaround to map the analog triggers to up and down on the RetroPad’s right stick for Reicast and Mednafen-Saturn so this trick could work on those cores too…

1 Like

[QUOTE=Awakened;50503]You could get that working by remapping the up and down right analog axis to your controller’s trigger axis with a game override. Turn on “Load Overrides Automatically” in Settings, Configuration, then create a Mednafen PSX folder in RetroArch\config. In that folder create Gran Turismo 2.cfg (filename must match your GT2 ISO name) and add add these lines to it with a text editor:

input_player1_l2_axis = "-3"
input_player1_r2_axis = "+3"
input_player1_r_y_plus_axis = "+4"
input_player1_r_y_minus_axis = "+5"

You get actual analog acceleration on the triggers this way. This also swaps L2 and R2 to up and down on the right stick in case you need them in game. This works for Xinput controllers; if you use a direct input controller, you’ll have to figure out the correct values to put between the quotes.

Now that I think about it, it would be a neat workaround to map the analog triggers to up and down on the RetroPad’s right stick for Reicast and Mednafen-Saturn so this trick could work on those cores too…[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t get it to work. I load the .rmp (same name of my GT2 .m3u) with the code you provided but R2 still as R2 and so on.

That’s why I said to use an override .cfg. .rmp’s don’t work with analogs. You might also have to disable autoconfig in input settings and manually bind all your inputs. I’m not sure if autoconfig overrides overrides.

Thx! It worked! I thought of bind the triggers for ritght analog but it would cause too much mess and I use the triggesr for hotkeys (load and save state). But with your workaround hotkeys still working as usual, and I didnt have to disable autoconfig, everything is working great, GT2 gameplay now looks like GT6 lol

That’s great!

This config works for Gran Turismo as well, the original game. Nice touch you guys.