Control Woes...Xarcade

Hi there,

I’m extremely new to all of this so I’ll try to be as brief and straightforward as possible.

I have Rocket Launcher, and HyperSpin as my frontend on a pc setup in an Xtension arcade machine, running a number of emulators. I’ve recently been trying to use RetroArch because it seems to run things so well.

When I try to config the core in RetroArch, that has launched whatever game from HyperSpin, the configuration for my controllers doesn’t seem to work properly. When I bind the inputs for the player 1 joystick on my Xarcade Tank Stick, it inputs fine into RetroArch, but for some reason when I try to move the characters around in game, it doesn’t recognize it. On top of that, some of the buttons will not recognize when I setup a 6 button joy for say Sega Genesis or SNES.

Should I just walk away from RetroArch for now as an Xarcade users and just go back to the emulators of yesteryear haha

I’ve heard Tanksticks are a pain in the arse with this emulator.

Cheers, Dennis

There is a bit of hassle in that tanksticks (and a lot of other keyboard-based joysticks) present themselves as keyboards with the buttons mapped to MAME’s default hotkey layout. This causes a lot of conflicts with RetroArch’s default hotkey assignments.

I use a JPAC in my cabinet, which also uses MAME defaults, but I changed a bunch of RA hotkeys to “nul” in the cfg and only mapped the few I needed manually. Some of these didn’t map properly in the GUI (like maybe the open/close brackets??? I forget), so I just mapped them manually in the cfg.

[QUOTE=hunterk;41728]There is a bit of hassle in that tanksticks (and a lot of other keyboard-based joysticks) present themselves as keyboards with the buttons mapped to MAME’s default hotkey layout. This causes a lot of conflicts with RetroArch’s default hotkey assignments.

I use a JPAC in my cabinet, which also uses MAME defaults, but I changed a bunch of RA hotkeys to “nul” in the cfg and only mapped the few I needed manually. Some of these didn’t map properly in the GUI (like maybe the open/close brackets??? I forget), so I just mapped them manually in the cfg.[/QUOTE]

Look like I won’t be using RetroArch then…which is aggravating because the guy who set this all up did most of the consoles in it…because people play this stuff with Xbox controllers. What a pain in the ass…

Oh well… looks like I get to spend the next few hours trying to configure the hell out of this setup. Fuck that pisses me off so much…

Why not just do what hunterk said he did? You can still use RA that way.

I think what’s probably going on with your inputs only working in the menu is that whoever set it up probably enabled per-core configs, which means that a new configuration is loaded when cores are loaded, so you would need to map those inputs in each of the cores’ config files, as well.

Here’s the config I use in my cabinet (I removed all of the stuff that pertains to paths and drivers, since it’s linux-based; you probably only need the lines that have ‘input’ in them): http://pastie.org/10892307

Before you give up on RetroArch, try loading up a game and then using an attached keyboard, press F1 to go into the menu and then hit ‘z’ to back out of the quick menu and then go to settings > input and try mapping your tankstick from there. Your inputs should work in-game at that point.

[QUOTE=hunterk;41728]There is a bit of hassle in that tanksticks (and a lot of other keyboard-based joysticks) present themselves as keyboards with the buttons mapped to MAME’s default hotkey layout. This causes a lot of conflicts with RetroArch’s default hotkey assignments.

I use a JPAC in my cabinet, which also uses MAME defaults, but I changed a bunch of RA hotkeys to “nul” in the cfg and only mapped the few I needed manually. Some of these didn’t map properly in the GUI (like maybe the open/close brackets??? I forget), so I just mapped them manually in the cfg.[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, I’ll have to give that a try. It might help with the hotkey crossover, but the num pad directional on the joystick seems to be not responding :\ I don’t think that interferes with anything… although it is mapped to cursor control WITHIN the hotkey system. But that is more to do with the shell of the preferences, rather than a hotkey switch… So I dunno. I could try and assign a new keymap to the controller… it has a few switches for altering the keymaps. But that means I have to go back and change all the other ones hahaha oyoyoyoyo…so much.

Sorry for being a little angry before guys haha I’m just frustrated… I’ve been screwing around with this machine for over a year. I’m getting a little fed up haha

Sorry to reply so late, but I am having this exact the same issue. Has it been how to properly map and get the directional stick working? I tried mapping in game as hunterk suggested, but this did nothing. the funny thing is if I hit the same key mapped to the directional stick on the xarcade on my devices actual keyboard, it works fine.

I have been searching for a great tutorial or someone who also has a Xtension plus joy that has a rollerball and spinner that worked out the kinks in retroarch for MAME and the other emulators.