Controller not working after restart

I just started us8ing RetroArch and finally figured out how to get my Xbox 360 wired controller working. It was fine for a couple of days then yesterday I installed some unrelated software updates that required me to restart the computer. After it was back up I was trying RetroArch again and the controller won’t work at all, in games or the interface. The settings look the same as before I think. I checked the controller in Windows’ own game controllers window and it works fine in there. Any other suggestions?

Here’s a screenshot of the settings:

Since the controllers are working in the windows control panel, did you try remapping again? or checking if what RetroArch is controller number 1 is still controller number 1?

Not sure if this is the same issue you are facing, but let me explain an issue I’ve had for a number of releases incase it helps. In my setup I have 5 different USB controllers and I leave them connected all the time. A mix of arcade stick, a wheel and a couple of xbox type controllers. I’ve noticed that If I start some other games/software after RetroArch, lets take MAME (standalone) for example, the controller order changes. If I start RetroArch cleanly, and number all the controllers in the order I want them and then later use MAME and come back to RetroArch without a reboot the order has changed, so what I originally set as controller 1 moves to another number, 4, etc. This screws up the mapping. The funny thing is MAME doesnt care, I guess it initializes something and always keeps its order regardless, but RetroArch may not.

OK I figured it out somehow. I have a 3D mouse (3D Connexion Spacepilot) and for some reason Windows sees it as a game controller. When I unplug the xbox controller User 1 Binds switches to nothing, plug it back in and the 3D mouse shows up. When I switched it from the mouse to the controller this time it started working.

Thanks for the response.