Controller problems with PS3

So I just installed RetroArch 1.0.0.2 on my PS3 to try it out but I am having problems with it. Specifically with the Controller. The PS3 controller seems to work fine for playing the games themselves, but thats about it. While in-game, I have no way to get back to RetroArch’s menu. I read online that I am supposed to be able to press “L3 + R3” at the same time but it is not working for me. I cant get back into the menu to Save or Load or State, or change games or anything.

I tried to fix the problem myself by going into the Input Menu and re-mapping the controller, but something is Really wrong with it. Most of the controllers buttons register as “Unknown (btn)” and that ones that do register are being read incorrectly. For example, I try to map the “B (down)” button" and I press the “X” button on the PS3 controller and it registers as “Start”. So I try choosing the “Select” but it registers as “Square”. I tried mapping the “Y (left)” button to the PS3’s “Square” button, but its reads it as “Cross”. Its all screwed up and I have no idea how to fix it.

Again, the controls to actually play a game work fine, but I have no ability to SAVE STATE or LOAD STATE becuase I cant access the RetroArch Menu. Then when I am done playing a game, I have to press the Center PS3 button on the controller to completely exit the game (and retroarch) then go open RetroArch back up again to pick a new game.

How can I fix this?

BTW, before anyone asks I am using the OFFICIAL PS3 Controller that came with my PS3 when it was brand new. Nothing aftermarket. I am also on 3.55 KMEAW CFW if that matters.

Hi manofsteel31,

How did you go troubleshooting this one? I have exactly the same problem on PS3 with RetroArch 1.0.0.2. The mapping is completely whack.

When I input a button in the settings menu, it gets the name completely wrong or “Unknown (btn)”. This I understand as RetroArch is used on different platforms and with different controllers etc. But the real mystery is, when I then play the game the input that I’ve set up has been assigned to another button.

If I then go back to settings and assign the button that was somehow swapped by RetroArch, then it uses the button that I originally wanted. Bizarre behaviour. Everything else is working great.