Controller setup questions. (More than one on pl1 OR easy way to swap settings.)

I recently purchased a Fightstick to use with my arcade games, fighting games and beat 'em ups.

I usually use a Wii U Pro-Controller for all my gamepad needs (USB reciever running in X-box/xinput Compat. Mode.)

Both sticks work wonderfully when configured manually and i like to use each of them for different kinds of games/platforms, but due to different button layouts i have to change the settings manually each time i swap between them.

I would love for a way to either; A) Set up both sticks to work with player 1 at the same time. or B) Easy way to swap between bindings /setups when i switch between the controllers. So far i have toyed with the idea of having separate CFG files for each controller and load these seperately. - Is there any way to seperate the control bindings out from the main CFG and each “variant” from retroarch or at launch of retroarch? Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Suggested improvements to LibRetro controllers:

I really feel LibRetro controller setups could use an “advanced mode” where you can set up bindings for as many devices per player as you like and set up button/key combinations etc. Examples:

[I]Player_1_button_A = joy1_button0 OR joy2_button0 OR keyboard_z [/I]
(This would set "button A" on two joysticks and the keyboard)
[I]Player_1_menu = joy1_button12 OR joy2_button10 AND joy2_button11 OR keyboard_f1
[/I](This sets the "menu function" to a single button on the first joystick, to a button combination on the second joystick and to the F1 key on the keyboard. )

An alternate method would be to turn the whole binding on its head and identify each of the controllers and let you map functions across players on each of them. Each method has its strengths and weaknesses.

What if you map the buttons to the keyboard through RetroArch, then use Xpadder to map the keyboard to the Controller.

Then you could load and save custom Xpadder profiles per controller.

You can use the --appendconfig command line switch and have config file fragments that contain only the mapping data for your controller(s) and add the one you want to use to your launch command.

However, if you have autoconfig profiles for your controllers, whichever one is on/plugged in will get automapped and take control of P1. When you want to switch to the other one, just turn off/unplug the one in your hands and turn on/plug in the other one.

The input options are already as advanced as we can make them without totally rewriting the input subsystem, which we’re just not interested in doing at the moment.

[QUOTE=hunterk;43541]You can use the --appendconfig command line switch and have config file fragments that contain only the mapping data for your controller(s) and add the one you want to use to your launch command.

However, if you have autoconfig profiles for your controllers, whichever one is on/plugged in will get automapped and take control of P1. When you want to switch to the other one, just turn off/unplug the one in your hands and turn on/plug in the other one.

The input options are already as advanced as we can make them without totally rewriting the input subsystem, which we’re just not interested in doing at the moment.[/QUOTE]

I think the autoconfig is probably the best/closest way to get what i want how does autoconfig play with 2 player setups?

I read in som older posts/comments about remapping files: http://blog.andressm.org/new-retroarch-features-2/

and this looked to me like a pretty quick way to swap input settings, but I’m guessing these are discontinued features.

Anyways thanks for your replies. Im going to try out a few alternatives once i get the chance and see what works out best for my setup.