Controller works in menu, stops working after loading game

Clearly it didn’t, that particular commit has been merged in 2015, whatever it was supposed to fix was fixed. Also, important to notice that the issue linked mentions the following:

Fixed linker error due to undefined reference to rarch_main_verbosity, and allow a VID/PID of 0 (which is the case for the built-in buttons when using KitKat on a JXD S7800B and possibly other non-USB input devices).

1 Like

Was a real fix ever found for this? I’m having this issue, although interestingly enough only with one controller.

Not that I’m aware, but I was just messing around in Android, I don’t actively use it in that platform. Are both of your controllers the exact same brand and models?

I’ve got a variety. 8Bitdo, Retro-bit, XBox, Mayflash; I’ve never encountered this issue before, but I just got a Trooper V2 from Hyperkin, and that is the one giving me problems.

This is why I asked, it doesn’t happen with every controller. Part of the problem is that the devs that could look at this issue aren’t affected by it to debug the issue, and the other part is that the most used controllers are well supported. I don’t see this being fixed anytime soon because not many people are affected by it.

I see. Well, that’s certainly an annoyance, but far from the end of the world. I can’t honestly say I spend too much time playing Atari 2600 games these days, and that’s all I got that controller for. It’s really just my OCD that won’t accept “good enough” as good enough. But I’ll get over it. Thanks anyway.

This seems to be a common theme, I’m the same way.

I found this thread while trying to solve my issue on Linux. Replugging the controller was working for me. The more permanent fix was to change the controller driver to sdl2. I also manually mapped the controller inputs.

Some info that may help others is that now when I launch a rom, I see messages that look like the following: Device disconnected from port #1 (sdl2) PlayStation Controller (1356/3290) not configured, using fallback

I noticed that you can set controller inputs per rom. By default, these have familiar mapped names: up, down, A, B, etc. When I map controller inputs, each button is a number. Maybe the rom default controls are kicking in.

1 Like

I have the same issue with RetroArch Plus in my

TV BOX (T95H) 4X CPU Cortex-A53 GPU Mali-G31 MP2 (Android 10)

I am using a simple (Twin USB gamepad) which is a common gamepad.

Gamepad works pefectly in RetroArch Menu but after loading a game it stops responding.

After lots of internet surfing about gamepad controllers and messing around with other emulators.

I Guess:

Some controllers are not capable of sending multiple data at once to seperate reseptors. this shouldn’t be a problem unless RetroArch is keeping the controller for handling its own menu and the controller won’t respond to the core anymore, because its being used by RetroArch. But this shouldn’t even matter because the android device is handling the inputs so all apps are getting their data directly from android system including RetroArch, right? this means android is the only reseptor here. so the problem lies within how RetroArch handles the input data.

The Interpreter which is a mediator between controller and core is not working properly. I am not saying the codes are wrong, but I think there is a stacking problem between redirecting the data to the core. I belive this problem could be solved by adding some redo-inputs to core codes on Run btn, and some redo-inputs to RetroArch on Close Content Btn.

Well its just a guess :slight_smile:

as for the solutions:

I turned on usb debugging in developer options on my android box, and so far the only thing that changed is that hotkeys are still working after the game is loaded so at least I can close the content using the hotkey on controller now.

Just putting up my config facing this issue.

Chromecast with Google TV Xbox Series Controller - Bluetooth

Same issue. Works fine in menu, goes unresponsive in game.

Same setup works fine on PC

That’s a first, interesting… usually this issue happens with “obscure” hardware (ie: controller, system, OS version), but your experience opens the door to a probably more common/popular setup, although you left out the actual system. What actual hardware/device/OS/version are you using, aside from the controller and the Chromecast?

i joined these forums specifically for this issue.

i installed retroarch on my nvidia shield, unfortunately, as others have posted its not quite working…i can navigate the retroarch menu with either my shield remote or my shield controller. but loading any rom results in retroarch becoming non responsive to any input from either. my only choice is to force stop retroarch from the shield system menu.

everything else seems to be working fine…the games load, the picture looks great and the audio is fine. im so close to being able to play…but no love. my controller simply stops functioning as soon as i load a rom.

i did try the workaround of using my remote to navigate the menu and then pressing the d pad on the controller once the rom was loaded…but that didnt do anything at all.

i see there hasnt been any movement on this topic in a little bit…im hoping someone has a fix sometime soon.

When you tried the workaround, you made sure to hold the action button during the process?

To load (run) the content, press and hold the B button, immediately after pressing the B button and while still holding it, start pressing repeatedly any D-Pad direction - a notification indicating gamepad detection should pop-up at the bottom.

It’s sad that this issue still happens, but I found a workaround for those who are still struggling. I found that Retroarch only updates connected controllers while in the menu.

First you need to go into the settings and disable the option to hide the overlay when a controller is connected.

1. Open the desired game and the controller will stop responding.

2. Use the overlay button to open the quick menu.

3. While in the menu, just disconnect and reconnect the controller, Retroarch will recognize it again.

You can minimize overlay during gameplay. Whenever you close the game Retroarch will lose the controller again, so you need to do step 3 again.

Cool, thanks for sharing this. Does this work if you close the current rom/core and load a new rom/core?

Yes it works.

Just a curious fact, I was messing around with these generic controllers I have and one of them got recognized (a few times) even when I reconnected it without opening the quick menu. That same controller remained connected while changing the core/rom a few times, until it “died” again… this time it only came back when I reconnected it with the menu open.

I just bought a usb-c hyperkin smartboy and this is happening on my samsung A02S phone. Android 10. Retroarch 1.10.3. I’m using gambatte if it matters. Ner0’s workaround works.

Overall, it’s annoying because if I close the emulator, the controls stop working. So I have to quit and re-start retroarch if I want to load a new game.

The workaround should also work when closing the core / game. But yeah, idk why this issue keeps getting ignored, I find it hard to believe that not a single dev is able to reproduce this.

It seems to be random. I tried again with closing the game and loading a new one and now the controller didn’t disconnect.

Going to the menu and re-inserting the controller also seems to be random. When it does work, retroarch takes around 15 seconds to recognize it.