Convert between .srm & .PSV saves (Win10+Beetle, Android+PCSX Rearmed)

PCSX ReARMed core creates in-game saves in the .srm format for each game separately and as I understand it, .srm is a ‘whole memory card’ (15 block) format.

I have a PS1/PS2 memory card-to-USB adapter which I use to back up / transfer my old PS1/PS2 memory card saves via my PS3, trouble is the PS3 creates these saves as individual game (single memory card block) saves in .psv format rather than a whole memory card format, like .srm. I’ve tried dropping them into my save file directory anyway but unsurprisingly, they’re not recognised in game.

I’ve found plenty of tools online which allow for conversion between different playstation savefile formats but none of them seem to deal with .psv format.

What I’d guess I need is to somehow drop / convert / bundle the individual ‘block’ .psv saves into the whole memory card .srm file format and then drop that into my save file directory instead…

Anyone?

If this helps anyone, I found the right tool and worked it out:

1. Download and open MemcardRex 1.8 (http://shendosoft.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/memcardrex-18-released.html) -no need to install on your PC, it’s tiny and runs in RAM.
  2. On each free slot, right click and select ‘Import save…’ -you need to do this for each .psv save file individually, thus loading one .psv file per memory card block.
  3. Click ‘File > Save as…’ and add a file name of your choice; save file type should be .mcr , save it to desktop.
  4. Rename the file extension from .mcr to .srm
  5. Load the game you want to play and it should create a save file in the Save Data directory in the format ‘[ROM name].srm’.
  6. Rename the .srm file you created with MemcardRex 1.8 to match the one created by PCSX ReARMed core in the last step above, then replace the core-created file with your re-named MemcardRex file.
  7. Re-load your game and weep tears of joy when you find you can now load and save as normal.

Good luck!

Dude, that’s awesome. Thanks for posting your solution. I’m sure others will find it very helpful.

Cheers; now if you could reverse the process and split that new .srm BACK into individual .psv saves to keep any new game data you happen to save in RA (so that you can transfer them back and continue playing the same game on the PS3 from the point you finished in RA), now THAT would be TRULY awesome; but I haven’t found a way to do that. Don’t think it’s possible from what I’ve read… dunno, I’m not a dev.

Worth remembering some games like WipEout 2097 also have a password save option though, so I guess you could use that to continue your progress on your original PS3 .psv file.

[QUOTE=3miliooo;25780]Cheers; now if you could reverse the process and split that new .srm BACK into individual .psv saves to keep any new game data you happen to save in RA (so that you can transfer them back and continue playing the same game on the PS3 from the point you finished in RA), now THAT would be TRULY awesome; but I haven’t found a way to do that. Don’t think it’s possible from what I’ve read… dunno, I’m not a dev.

Worth remembering some games like WipEout 2097 also have a password save option though, so I guess you could use that to continue your progress on your original PS3 .psv file.[/QUOTE]

hey bro? have you found a way to do this? im playing chrono trigger in my ps3 and in retroarch in my pc, and i want to transfer the save games back and forth, for when i play in my room or in my pc room or in my living room etc, cant find a way to convert .srm or .mcr to .psv. i just could do the first option you said from .psv to .mcr then rename it to .srm and its done but i cant continue from the new save from my pc in my ps3…

anyone?

looks like psv files are being signed by sony, and there is no way you can convert mcr or srm or anything to PSV. sucks tho, since 2007 people are asking for this kind of tool but after a whole day of reading a lot of forums seems that no one was able to crack it as of today, perhaps someday some one will.

you just can do it with a hacked ps3, there is no way you can do it with original psv files… so f sad.

@drpouna I found a few ways to convert to PSV, depending on what other devices you have:

I’ve been looking back into this recently and think I may have found a solution for .srm > .psv conversion without needing to rely on a CFW, modded console, or card reader + Code Breaker 9.3+ as per the previous post.

It’s an online solution and my preference would still be to find an offline tool to do this so will keep looking -please, anyone do post back here if I’m late to the party and you’re aware of one already!

When I started this thread way back, I was using PCSX Rearmed core on Android, whereas I’m now using Beetle PSX on Windows 10 but the following .srm > .psv filetype conversion method should hopefully be the same regardless:

• Rename your .srm file extension to .mcr
  • Use this online tool (which I found here) to select your .mcr file and convert it to .PSV - after you hit the ‘Convert’ button, you will be presented with a list of .PSV files which were on the .mcr , you need to click on the relevant one to download the individual save.

• You should now be able to move your new .PSV to your PS3 by dropping it onto a USB stick (folder path from USB root should be ‘PS3 > EXPORT > PSV’ , create these folders as appropriate so the console can see the save file), and import it to a virtual PS1 memory card using the PS3 Memory Card Utility.

Once you are up and running on your PS3, if you ever save and intend to convert your new .PSV back in order to continue playing in RA Beetle core, convert it back to an .mcr using MemcardRex as per steps 2 & 3 in my OP but this time, give it the same name as your existing Beetle core .mcr, then use it to overwrite the Beetle core .mcr (making sure you first back up the Beetle core .mcr, if you have any other individual game saves on there which you want to keep!) before loading your game.