Converting to CHDs for certain cores

Hey swurver. Try using the following in Parallels:

Extract the chdman folder and place the gdi files in there as well. If you open the bat with a text editor you will see that it does not work with paths, but only with what it has in the same folder. I haven’t tested it in Parallels, but you might give it a try and see if it works.

Placed the 2 files inside of the rom folder containing the gdi & track files…ran the batch file…and got this error (see screenshot). I then moved the folder containing everything to the C: path under local disk through Parallels, ran the batch file and it friggin’ worked!!! Now, do I have to run the batch file in each rom folder or is there an even simpler way to mass convert a number of rom folders? I’m spoiled now…lol. Thanks for this…helped me out tremendously!!! :slight_smile:

Glad it worked :slight_smile:

You can place the GDI folders in the chdman folder. It should work.

I need to compress PS2 and Nintendo Wii games. What format do you recommend me?

PS2=CSO Wii=WBFS

Hope it helps

It helps but what program do you recommend for converting ISO to WBFS? I want to use WBFS files with Dolphin emulator and RetroArch. ISO to WBFS app has 3 options I’m curious what they do. How do I know if I need to “copy all partitions from ISO” or “copy only game partition from ISO” and what does “copy 1:1 from ISO” mean?

Well you should only copy the game partition really. If there are unneeded files for the games, they won’t increase your final compressed iso, you can do this blindly, your compressed games won’t be affected.

1 Like

You recommend WBFS? I thought that was a lossy format? I use GCZ compressed via Dolphin personally.

GCZ is also lossy for Wii games. GCZ is only lossless for Gamecube.

The only compression for Wii that is lossless is NASOS/nNASOS (iso.dec), but unfortunately it is not yet supported by Dolphin.

Whoa what? Are you serious? So I might have screwed my Wii collection? I can’t figure how it’s not lossy for GC but is for Wii.

Both Gamecube and Wii discs contain “garbage data” which is padding so it fills the disc. The difference between Gamecube and Wii is the Wii’s garbage data is random. The compression program scrubs the disc to make it smaller by throwing out the garbage data. Since the Gamecube garbage data is a repeated pattern that is known it can be restored. But since the Wii is random, it can’t be restored.

You did not ruin your Wii games. The garbage data is of no real use and never used by emulators anyway. You shouldn’t notice anything different, except the hard drive space you saved by scrubbing the ISOs. GCZ does not remove the extra partitions like the update partition.

So WBFS is just as good as GCZ and I only need to compress game partition from ISO and choose “copy 1:1 from ISO” if I want “garbage data” too? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Guys, for Wii and Gamecube, you want to use nNASOS (iso.dec) - it’s the only compressed format which is lossless and can be compressed/uncompressed in seconds. The only downside is you have to uncompress with the nNASOS tool manually before passing it onto Dolphin (unless you use a script to do it for you, like I do XD)

4DO also supports CHD.