Core and Feature Requests

Cdi and x1 both work great on retroarch android…that being said it must be better on the pc…dont know about the PC but for android it’s a pain because rom names MUST match softlist names , so yea I had a ton of renaming to do plus my artwork for hyperspin…definitely doable but with alittle effort

I can get Donkey Kong III: The Great Counterattck running on X Millennium fine but it instantly crashed on Retroarch. Which core are you using?

Sadly I get immediate crashing. I have followed that little list to the letter, have all the necessary CHDs (and bin+cue) and bios files, made all the core option changes and it still crashes :frowning: I appreciate the post though. I did actually redo everything from your post in case I screwed something up earlier when trying to get it working and came up empty handed :frowning:

MAME (The one without the year), using this to start it with:

x1 -flop1 "/Games/Romz/Sharp/x1/Donkey Kong 3 Dai Gyakushuu.zip"

Nice! Does that require any special bios files or settings changed or it just runs?

Here’s a guide for nonarcade systems like CD-i, X1, Neo Geo CD, etc using MAME and MESS. Example at the very bottom for X1.

1 Like

Hi.

Is there a way to know which core version I downloaded?

go to ‘load core’ and then look in the bottom-left corner of the screen. It’ll tell you the core version.

Thanks a lot, I thought that was retroarch’s last version, thank you also for the quick response.

Or alternatively you can load the core of choice, then go down to information and finally go on core information.

Is it possible to add a remember position feature for ffmpeg core? I use it in Kodi and it’s basically the only thing I miss for it.

Out of curiosity, why the ffmpeg core is listed under Core Updater option since it’s integrated in Retroarch.exe?

This worked very well. It took some trial and error but i’ve got most everything working. Thank you!

Hi, just a porposal…

It’s possible to add Vic II “No Borders” option in “vice_libretro” core ?

An option to set the mouse speed in the scummvm core would be handy! Right now, the core is pretty much unusable, if you want to use a real mouse instead of a gamepad.

2 Likes

Feature Request - “pad to largest resolution” and “automatically switch to game’s native resolutions”

Problem:

PCSX ReArmed and Beetle PSX stretch all resolutions to 320x240, but PSX games ran in a variety of resolutions. Whenever a PSX game switches resolutions to something other than 320x240, you get scaling artifacts even with integer scaling enabled.

Solution:

there are two ways to address this- we can automatically detect and switch resolutions to the game’s native resolution whenever a switch occurs, OR we can pad each resolution to the largest resolution that the game uses. Both of these options would cause the aspect ratio to change during gameplay, but scaling artifacts would be completely eliminated at all times.

Using the example of FFVII on the PSX:

on overworld screens and some minigames, the resolution switches to 320x224. On menu screens the resolution switches to 364x240.

If we “pad to largest resolution,” we have a couple options. Assuming a user-selected integer scale of 5x5 and a custom aspect ratio of 1600x1200, 364x240 would become 1456x960, with black bars on the sides and top/bottom: (72 + 1456 + 72)x(120 + 960 + 120).

OR, if the custom aspect ratio is set to 1820x1200, then 320x240 becomes (110 + 1600 + 110)x1200 and 364x240 becomes 1820x1200. So every resolution winds up fitting within the largest resolution at 5x5 integer.

With “automatically switch resolution to game’s detected native resolution,” you would simply take the game’s currently detected native resolution and then scale it up by the user-selected integer scale factor. Returning the to example of FFVII, if we assume a user-selected integer scale factor of 5x5, we would get the following resolutions:

1600x1200 during normal gameplay (320x240) 1820x1200 on menu screens (364x240) 1600x1120 on the overworld screen and certain minigames (320x224)

It would be nice to have both options available: “pad to largest resolution” and “automatically switch to game’s current native resolution,” so that the user had more control over the output, allowing them to choose between taking up more of the display area or stretching the image less. Both options would result in pixel-perfect video output at all times.

1 Like

if it’s not on the docket yet, I’d like to see native Libretro save folder support and per-game Save creation similar to what’s in the Mednafen PS1 core added to Reicast.

2 Likes

The Saturn core of Mednafen (Beetle Saturn) has not been updated for a long time, it is in version 0.9.48 and they go for the 1.21.3, with many improvements for Saturn. There are plans to update it or to improve the internal resolution as in the PSX HW core?

There is some post that was commented, but it is already very old, the same as with the core of PCE, which uses the fast but not the accurate, which works better and without errors in games like Popful Mail and some more. I understand not to repeat cores, but in Bsnes we have different profiles and in PCE we could have both also for better precision.

4 Likes

is anyone aware of any effort to port AGS to libretro?

What happened to the supermodel port? : )

Also, +1 to atsumori-neo’s request of using per-game saves on reicast and ToniBC’s regarding Beetle Saturn.

1 Like

It’s still coming. Some things have come up since the announcement, obviously (Twinaphex shouldn’t have given a timeline; that just sets up missed expectations), but he said he’s hoping to tackle it soon.

In the meantime, they’ve done an awful lot of awesome work upstream, so having the renderer more complete from the outset should make things easier in the long-run.

1 Like