Core and Feature Requests

Good question, the first one that comes to mind is FM Towns/Marty, but it would be nice to create a thread so people would chime in and tell their own experiences. It’s not that is hard, but something like NEOCD is great as it seems to me MAME, being the biggest core takes quite some time to load, not to mention the extra steps for it to emulate consoles/computers. I don’t emulate CD-i, FM-Towns, but I’m sure dedicated cores can instigate others to try out these systems more often.

1 Like

I’ve seen a surprising number of requests for vtech leapfrog, and breaking out the Game and Watch may be popular.

I think the daphne/laserdisc games are another, but those can usually be handled like normal arcade ROMs, right?

1 Like

It seems that the laserdisc stuff isn’t there for MAME yet.

The best support for Daphne and American laserdisc games looks to be Hypseus Singe which is still actively maintained. It basically takes off where Daphne development ended and adds American Laserdisc Games support.

I talked to the developer of this and they said that they would be really happy for there to be a retroarch core made for it, but did not have the time and familiarity with retroarch to do it.

Here’s the repo

4 Likes

Perhaps any computer line with an extensive library and decent emulation is a candiate for this? Eg:

Apple II/ Apple IIe/ GS

BBC Micro /Acorn Electron

Dragon /Tandy CoCo

2 Likes

Hello,

The FinalBurn Neo core is missing some control option for mapping multiple functions to a single button for neo geo games. Please add the option to map AC, BD, CB and ABCD to a single button. These options are present in the original emulator and they’re very useful

1 Like

@BJ96 Welcome to the forums! This is a common request, but it’s not one that I think is possible Possible to map 2 actions to 1 button Input??

2 Likes

Oh I don’t mean macro for RetroArch. The emulator core I’m referring to (FinalBurn Neo) already have the function of mapping multiple buttons to a single, physical button.

Here’s a screenshot:

This is a neo geo game, so the face buttons are A B C D

As you can see, if I want to map multiple buttons to one physical button I can only do so with AB, CD, ABC and BCD.

My request is to add all the other missing combinations there are present in the original emulator such as AC, BD, CB and so on.

I play mostly neo geo games and having these “shorcuts” helps a lot with my hand condition

2 Likes

Those variations are indeed useful, I mostly miss them for the Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown Games.

Has anyone ever mentioned/requested a " DICE (Discrete Integrated Circuit Emulator)" core?

2 Likes

Is there going to be an update to the ScummVM core? Been messing around with it and enjoying it, but I still get messages about games not being supported, whcih really should be supported in newer versions, maybe. It temps me to use the Flathub version instead more and more.

I don’t know how hard it would be to update that core for developers, since it seems to have custom “.scummvm” related features. Would be nice if it was up to date, though. The core shipped displays as version 2.1.1, but the most up-to-date stable one is ScummVM 2.6.0.

That version number just hasn’t been updated in a really, really long time, but the core itself is not wildly behind. Nevertheless, there is an updated libretroization that sits on top of the latest upstream codebase, we just haven’t integrated it with our CI/build infrastructure yet. In the meantime, you can get builds from here: http://build.bot.nu/nightly/

1 Like

Oh great. Thanks for the info! Maybe it was just me then…

Who owns/runs build.bot.nu by the way? Is it third-party or official? Regardless, I did try the nightly ScummVM core with a stable 1.1.11 version of Retroarch and it did not run. I’m assuming I need the nightly version of Retroarch, too?

I’ve also had problems with the keyboard input when typing in the ScummVM menu. For example, when I want to type special characters, like parentheses, it will type “9” and '0" instead. Kinda odd. Not an issue for the standalone ScummVM programs. Is there a way to fix this in the Retroarch core?

It’s owned/run by the guy who made the core, who is a fairly frequent contributor to RetroArch/libretro.

You shouldn’t need a nightly RetroArch. If it’s crashing for you, can you post a log?

Are you using ‘game focus mode’ (mapped to scroll lock by default)? That should forward all inputs directly to the core, untouched.

Ah, great. That’s good to know. So I’m running the Flatpak version of Retroarch, since it’s the most convenient way to run it for me right now. In case people don’t know, the Flatpak version is only compatible with the SDL2 input drivers on Linux, not udev, because the Flatpak specification basically breaks udev support I found out. Ugh… But anyway, that could be causing problems for some reason. I’m not sure…

So what I did last time was I unzipped the http://build.bot.nu/nightly/linux/x86_64/latest/scummvm_libretro.so.zip in ~/.var/app/org.libretro.RetroArch/config/retroarch/cores/, ran Retroarch again, tried to load it, didn’t load (no Run core option showed up.) I even tried to use flatpak run org.libretro.RetroArch -L scummvm_libretro.so, and it didn’t even start Retroarch. Didn’t even display any errors at all. Haha. So I’m not sure what is goin’ on there. I could retest with debugging/logging stuff if you like.

I have a specific issue that I think could potentially be easily resolved, that may be a feature request, or may be something we’re simply overlooking. It involves the DeSmuME core, and Metroid Prime Pinball. I created a topic on their official forum here for reference. We found out that the reason that the Wireless Mission table, Magmoor Caverns, wasn’t working was because the “enable wifi emulation” option wasn’t checked, but it works just fine when it is. If you don’t enable it, the game softlocks after pressing start to play the Single Player Practice mode. Now I knew going into that forum that they don’t support wifi, but the issue isn’t that I want to play wifi with other people, but instead access the table in single player practice mode. It’s an exclusive table that doesn’t appear in the main game, and the mode is unique too in that it isn’t a high score thing, but a time attack “get to 10k points as fast as possible” thing; It’s quite fun.

Over at RetroAchiements, dev MGNS8M is fairly close to finalizing a set for Metroid Prime Pinball. We would very much like to include achievements and potentially a leaderboard for this table, but in the current iteration of the DeSmuME core on RetroArch, we cannot figure out how to get it to work. Best we can tell, the “enable wifi” toggle available in the stand-alone emulator is omitted from the current core.

I understand that wifi isn’t really supported on DeSmuME, and I know the headache it would cause if you added the option into the core KNOWING people would assume that means “oh, wifi works now!” and then you’d get thousands of complaints on “why it isn’t working!?” If it’s at all possible, could you please make an exception check for Metroid Prime Pinball? The set is based on the European version so that’s the main priority, but enabling it for all 3 would be nice if those hashes ever get added to the retroachievements page. Even if you can’t update the core, but can somehow provide a custom config file or something that we could use and provide to the RetroAchievements community, that would be greatly appreciated.

Completely different thing, but I’m amazed not a single soul has requested an Aleph One core. More people should be interested in the Marathon trilogy (and its many fan campaigns); it’s a very interesting series! If it was a low-effort core to convert, I’d certainly have fun using it.

I don’t know, whether it was mentioned before, but OpenBOR would be a very nice core for libretro. Thx

Fire OS on the new Amazon Fire TV Cube (3rd gen.) now supports game mode for low latency gaming. Would love to see support added to the Fire OS build.

Request: Singe 2 from Kangaroopunch

https://kangaroopunch.com/software/singe

Code: https://skunkworks.kangaroopunch.com/skunkworks/singe

Why: The developers have fixed up a number of issues with playability on games like Space Ace, Dragon’s Lair 2 etc. They have also improved graphics. It would be nice to be able to play through these and some of the user generated games.

I would really appreciate it if the melon DS or desmume cores for the Nintendo DS can allow the games active ram to be read by outside programs. We’re trying to use a software to read the games active memory in real time and we’re trying to move on to the DS but unlike the game boy and game boy advance none of the DS cores allow the games ram to be read.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/new-crt-shader-from-guest-crt-guest-advanced-updates/25444/2973?u=cyber