Core and Feature Requests

Ok - I apologise. I read that the wrong way. I wouldn’t expect anyone to buy it to test, so in a rush I took meaning differently (my bad). I’m more than happy to test and have been. I’ll close this off and work out a solution myself.

1 Like

Hello I hade to delete and redownload Retroarch and I notice some cores I hade before are no longer available to redownload like the NEC PC-98 Neko Project II Kai emulator. Are they going to be available later in the future?

Nothing has been removed, so it’s probably just hidden. Go to online updater > updater settings > show experimental cores ON.

1 Like

I actually fix my issue an hour later after making this post. The core didn’t show when I downloaded the Stable version but it did when I downloaded Nightly version.

Everything is good now.

1 Like

My request is… a bit more love for core development i guess.

Are there any news about the Dolphin or the PCSX2 cores? There was some talk about the PCSX2 being improved but it got stuck again since May it seems. Also, Ares seems like the most important emulator released lately. It’s already reaching great accuracy and good compatibility for N64 emulation. Soon it will replace everything else. Hope RA doesn’t stay behind, even Bizhawk has an Ares N64 core.

5 Likes

The current version of Dolphin is something I have been waiting for for a long time…

3 Likes

I think for the most part dolphin works quite well. One I would like to see added is the motion controls.

I don’t know if this would be something related to the Cores, but it would be interesting to be able to use standalone emulators (which we already have installed) to run the games. An example would be something like this:

This command is used in Linux to run a game, I don’t know about Windows:

rpcs3 --no-gui --fullscreen DIR/GAME/EBOOT.BIN

{
  "path": "/home/willian/.config/retroarch/roms/Sony - Playstation 3/Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin (USA) (En,Fr,Es,Pt)/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/EBOOT.BIN",
  "label": "Dark Souls II",
  "core_path": "rpcs3 --no-gui --fullscreen",
  "core_name": "Sony - PlayStation 3 (RPCS3)",
  "crc32": "SLUS-21376|serial",
  "db_name": "Sony - PlayStation 3.lpl"
}

This could be interesting so that we can use emulators that do not have a libretro version within retroarch. Or even platforms that do not yet have access to some emulators.

RetroArch can’t launch other programs, it can only link against libretro cores. We purposely haven’t added launcher capabilities because it would be confusing as to what RetroArch and libretro actually do and what features a user would expect when using the program.

That said, there is the Windowcast core, which lets RetroArch act as a sort of transparent window over the top of external games/programs for the purpose of running shaders on top.

3 Likes

A windows 98 core with directx 8 :blush:

RPG Maker Core:

for RPG Maker Games made with versions XP,VX, VX Ace and MV

There is one called JoiPlay, but it’s only for Android at the moment. There are soo many games made with RPG Maker that we are missing out on when it comes to emulation.

1 Like

any chance to have killer instinct emulator? https://github.com/lantus/u64emu

Doesn’t the game run fine in MAME?

Also, isn’t that u64emu very old? Last update was 6 years ago according to the linked page.

1 Like

There is no description and worse, no license attached to it. That means, it’s not a Open Source license available (in the sense of free / libre). Is this a fork of another project? If so, it should be documented.

Edit: Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct 2 seem to run fine on MAME 2003-Plus. This core is known to run on weaker hardware than current MAME. So if performance is the reason you ask for the old emulator, then try MAME 2003-Plus.

Latest Mednafen update adds support for more Apple II models (Apple IIe and Enhanced IIe), making it finally possible to play games with higher requirements in the 8bit Apple II line. Would be excellent if this could make it’s way into Retroarch similar to other Mednafen systems.

6 Likes

There is also this project for Libretro port of AppleWin.

3 Likes

I just found out about this emulator and have not used it yet. So cannot tell anything about its qualities. I’ll report it here, as this thread is all about core requests: DREAMM is a bespoke emulator for LucasArts games:

It is kind of similar to ScummVM, in which Lucas Arts games are playable with game and engine specific fixes. The big difference is, it is an emulator in the traditional sense and not a reinterpretation of the engine to play native. Imagine a DOSBox like emulation, but with the care of ScummVM for very specific games. DOS, a little bit old Windows and FM-Town system seem to be the focus at the moment.

1 Like

ah, yeah, Aaron Giles is like the John Carmack of emulation. Unfortunately, DREAMM is closed-source, so no chance of a libretro core unless he made it himself (not likely).

2 Likes

Oh no and my bad. I did not check for the source, was hyped for it. Well, then we have to wait if he wants to open source it in the future. Also I just read there is telemetry integrated, which will report some stuff to his servers (stated in the documentation), but can be opted out. In the FAQ he answers the question, seems to be willing to open it up in the future:

Why isn’t the source code available?

Actual Short Answer: I don’t feel like collaborating yet, and some of my code isn’t ready to be shared.

For the longer answer, read here: https://aarongiles.com/dreamm/docs/v21/#faq-scummvm

2 Likes

Are there any plans for Ares? Most importantly, the N64 core?

3 Likes