Core associated overlays?

I confess I am a noob to retroarch, but I certainly am liking it better than the alternatives. On previous devices I was using DroidEmu which was similar in that it was one app that emulated multiple systems, but it’s no longer available, and it kept nagging me to upgrade…

So now I find this sweet app, and it does everything I want and moremore, except every time I load a game for another system I have to reconfigure my overlay to match the system.

Is there anyway to set it up so that if I’m playing with an snes core, it’ll use the snes overlay, and then when I switch to a Genesis core, it’ll use the Genesis overlay? I would enjoy this so much more if I didn’t have to set it up each time…

You can do that by enabling core-specific configs in the options. I don’t really use that option, though, so I can’t provide much more info than that.

The only thing I’ve found like that is a toggle for global configuration. But playing with that doesn’t seem to change anything. From what I’d read elsewhere that seemed like the way to do it though. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to save a configuration somewhere? I’m using the version for android from Google Play.

[Update] I’ve now updated to the nightly build for March 17th. It doesn’t seem to make a difference though. I did notice that it’s suggested not to use the Android gui, but I don’t see any options regarding core specifics outside of the Android gui…

Enable per-core configs, in General Settings, then load a game and select your overlay. Then load a game for another platform and select the other overlay and so on

It should work. if it doesn’t then it is the android menu still doing bad stuff