Core Downloader

Just downloaded 1.2 stable. Noticed that the “Core Manager” feature is nowhere to be seen on android.

Am I just stupid or is it really not included in android stable? Should I just direct download the cores from the nightly folders in buildbot?

Thanks

[QUOTE=Squall13;24571]Just downloaded 1.2 stable. Noticed that the “Core Manager” feature is nowhere to be seen on android.

Am I just stupid or is it really not included in android stable? Should I just direct download the cores from the nightly folders in buildbot?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Remove from Android GUI with this release. Click “load retroarch”, then go to 'Online Updater" -> ‘core updater’

[QUOTE=Squall13;24571]Just downloaded 1.2 stable. Noticed that the “Core Manager” feature is nowhere to be seen on android.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

The Java-based Core Manager was horrendously slow.

It really is not worth it to keep all that dreck Java code around. We should kill off as much as possible and get people to boot into the main GUI (GLUI/XMB) as quickly as possible from the moment they startup the Android app. The Java code we need to maintain separately and that is always going to not work out since we can’t maintain both a C codebase (RetroArch in general) and then this dumb ‘Java launcher’ at the same time. We want to get rid of this additional maintenance chore because 1) Java has absolutely dreadful performance anyway, 2) it is just bloat, 3) now that we have touch support anyway it is less needed, 4) it is additional maintenance that I’m not prepared to deal with and which just is a drag on our intentions of having RetroArch be a cross-platform codebase.

Gonna put my feedback here as it’s on the subject.

It’s still confusing to open Retroarch on Android and getting this Java stuff while it’s now deprecated. Then, getting in GLUI (that I read is now ready for touchscreen) has touchscreen disabled and uses the pad overlay.

The evil keyboard icon in the middle of the overlay: if you’re only using touchscreen and touch this thing, get ready to use your home button and then find a way to force close retroarch to get any form of control back at restart.

When I managed to get touchscreen control in GLUI it was quite irresponsive and the lack of “smooth scrolling” didn’t help.

But I’m sure everything will get better in due time and everything worked well passed those annoyances (which could stop 1st time users from getting into retroarch I fear).