Core option overrides issue

Here’s the scenario:

I made a few changes in the PUAE.opt file to use as the defaults and made that read only because i know it automatically saves any changes and i don’t want that. And whenever i want a specific game to have different options, i simply save a game.opt file. Then, if i need any changes to that, i save again to overwrite it. Simple and safe.

That’s how i use this for years now. However this behavior have changed in 1.8.3 it seems. It now overwrites any changes automatically on the game.opt files, without me going to the “save game core option” file to overwrite manually. Which means every time i change options to test something for a game, i have to remember to change them back.

Can this be changed? Or maybe an option to choose what behavior you want? For the general core options as well so we don’t need to make them read only any more to keep them safe. There is an option for RetroArch to not save when exit so why not for core options?

Core options have always been flushed automatically, it never required a discrete action to save.

Core options yes, that’s why i keep them read only.

Game core options though never saved automatically, that’s why there is a manual save option on top of the list.

Game core options have always been read and written to a game specific .opt file if it is present. It is written on core exit.

I know this because before the ‘No Global Options’ feature, I used to create blank per-game .opt files instead of using the menu option that you mention, which caused the whole options file to be written for a game (including options for other unrelated cores). This way I had only options for the core I needed. Anyway this is not a problem anymore.

I’m talking about these files being automatically saved on exit, if they are present.

So, could an option to control whether you want to save core options on exit or not be implemented? I don’t see the issue for something like that. It could be useful for anyone who likes to test stuff on the fly and doesn’t have to worry about messing up later on. It should be far better than “locking” the cfg files manually. It’s the only thing left for me that requires configuration outside RetroArch’s own menu.