Core Updater 1.2 test build

When I try to use the core updater, it doesnt work. I cant get any cores this way. How do I get the cores on Linux? It works fine on windows.

Hmm. There are a number of potential issues there, including an inability to write to the default libretro location without elevated privileges (/usr/lib/libretro in the Ubuntu packages). If you’re using the Ubuntu PPAs, just get the cores through the apt package manager. They’re updated nightly.

Could you tell me the specific command for the latter option?

Sure: sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade do that to update the cores you have. sudo apt-get update ; apt-cache search libretro that will let you see everything that’s available. sudo apt-get install retroarch* libretro* that will install all of the available retroarch and libretro packages. sudo apt-get remove [package name] that will remove anything you don’t want anymore.

Edit: Sudo Retroarch makes the updater work. Thanks for the commands though.

Yeah, running regular programs as root isn’t usually recommended, and getting those libraries from the updater instead of the package manager could cause issues later if you start mixing in packages, but as long as you’re consistent, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Well, audio and input is better in KMS , my only issue is that the screen tearing is so bad a lot of things stutter. Vsync eliminates it but wouldn’t that kinda go against this whole plan? On windows the scrren tearing doesn’t bother me but on this…

vsync should be on in KMS. It shouldn’t have a huge effect on latency because of the tight control over the framebuffer that KMS provides.

Hey, you’re right it seems to make no difference. There seem to be less options in this retroarch than in windows, is that normal?

Also, gba has audio crackling no matter what settings. Edit: Jack works now, but still audio crackling regardless of settings , which does not happen on Windows or non gba games.

Man, why you opened another thread?

Hunterk already answered you, take a look at here too: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3339&p=24878&viewfull=1#post24878

Btw, good luck running regular programs as super user.

My eyes are just bleeding after that

What did you use before? Pulse or Alsa? Alsa has problems on Ubuntu, I set the default audio driver to PulseAudio.

And you can try mGBA from the PPA, it’s in the 0.2.1 stable version, the Online Updater has the git/dev version