Correct Geometry - Aspect Ratio for different systems

Updated the app to include all systems, some PAL vs NTSC and also per game (SNES, Saturn, Genesis and Sega CD), also a Zoom option since some games are letterboxed and an option to upscale to next integer, previous integer, or snap to display size.

Download from my Github:

Forgot to say, the calculations are based on cropped overscan for the next systems (224px high mostly) while the rest use 240px:

• Super Nintendo Entertainment System NTSC
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega 32X
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega CD
  • PCB Sega ST-V Titan
  • SNK Neo Geo
  • PCB CPS2
  • PCB CPS3
3 Likes

@Dogway Would any of these setups also work for TG-16 / PC Engine?

1 Like

I havenā€™t looked into it as I donā€™t have those systems set up. It requires some time going back and forth, research and tests. I might give them a look if thereā€™s enough interest. By the way since this an AHK x64 app I think it can only be used on x64 versions of Windows (no Linux sorry)

1 Like

I love this tool! And, as you know, nobody complains like someone who loves a thing. :grin: More seriously, I have a couple UX suggestions for next time you revisit it. Perhaps:

• Instead of a separate dialog, display output in the main interface?
  • Display output in a selectable text box for easy cut-and-paste into RA configs?
  • Have the output auto update when frobbing the inputs? (Not exactly essential, but saves a click.)
  • Offer a way to see (and copy) a list of the games with info, either internal to the app or exportable?
  • Show PAR, DAR, original resolution, clipping values, computed scaling factor?
  • Allow for arbitrary entry of all of those so we can play with obscure systems or even use this as a heckinā€™ convenient calculation tool for other image work?

Even without any of this, Itā€™s heckinā€™ convenient. Thanks for your work on it!

2 Likes

Good suggestions, I was a little lost on where to put the results, so it inherited the pop up from the previous, but I have an idea now!

As for sliders, I donā€™t think so, I mean this is a small tool I had and donā€™t want to spend too much more time on it.

And on the list of games, yes I thought about it. Will think in a way to insert them, probably a clickable popup. I might reconsider being able to input a custom DAR and original resolution.

Mainly those, you can get the DAR easily by: custom_viewport_width/custom_viewport_height

2 Likes

Does anybody have experience with this in the context of crt switchres? For super resolution mode, I canā€™t seem to change the aspect ratio at all unless I use ā€œcustomā€ and ā€œcustom_viewport_widthā€ (but that requires me to define the vertical resolution as wellā€”breaking games that switch between 240p and 480i). NONE of the other aspect ratio index options do anythingā€”the image always ends up stretched to 2560.

This is mainly a problem with the beetle psx as neither the cropped nor uncropped overscan core options result in the same picture I get from my real PSOne.

For parallel64, I didnā€™t think there were many 480i modes, but I just discovered the bombers notebook in Majoraā€™s Mask is 480i. Luckily this coreā€™s image is way closer to the right AR.

Here I share my findings on DAR for different system and the exceptions I could find in some games, this is how I have it set up, itā€™s not an exhaustive list so you can expand it. The DAR is considered without borders (ie. 224px high) except for CPS2 which accounts for 240px.

PCB CPS2
SNK Neo Geo
PCB Sammy Atomiswave
PCB Sega Naomi
Sega Dreamcast NTSC
Nintendo 64
	4:3

PCB CPS3
	439:313

NEC PC Engine
Nintendo Entertainment System
	8:7

Super Nintendo Entertainment System NTSC
	Everything except following titles

ActRaiser 2
	Ballz 3D
	Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
	Battletoads-Double Dragon
	Dragon Ball Z - Super Butouden series
	F-Zero
	Joe & Mac
	Killer Instinct
	Mortal Kombat series
	Samurai Shodown
	Super Ghouls'n Ghosts
	Super R-Type
	Street Fighter series

Sega Game Gear
	5:4

Sega Master System
	381:250

Sega Genesis
	10:7

Arrow Flash
	Beast Wrestler
	Flashback
	Wily Wars
	Pac-Man 2
	Monster World IV
	Radical Rex
	Shadow of the Beast II
	Shining Force
	Shining Force II
	Shining in the Darkness
	Splatterhouse 3
	Star Trek - The Next Generation
	Sunset Riders
	True Lies
	Wonder Boy in Monster World

Sega CD
	653:500

Earthworm Jim
	Ranma
	Road Avenger
	Sonic CD

SoulStar

Sega 32X

Sega Saturn/Titan:

3:2
	decathlt
	diehard
	elandore
	ffreveng
	rsgun
	sss
	vfremix
	vfkids
	winterht
	znpwfv
	Clockwork Knight
	Clockwork Knight 2
	Crows
	Legend of Oasis
	NiGHTS
	Panzer Dragoon
	Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
	Sonic R
	Super Tempo
	Tryrush Deppy

Sega Dreamcast PAL
	5:4

83:50 if widescreen patch

Sony PlayStation

pixel based games (256x240 active frame)
2 Likes

Iā€™m confused since I think aspect ratio is about pixels so to obtain the 4:3 aspect ratio for most of consoles and arcades just divide the height by 3 then multiply by 4, no need to do for most of 32/64 bits games as they output 4:3 resolutions like 320x240 . The case of systems like Master System, Colecovision having 192 pixels height to obtain 4:3 aspect ratio is needed the consideration of 224 pixels height to obtain a 4:3 aspect ratio that has nothing to do with the inherent resolutions of systems like the afoementioned (Master System, Colecovision).

The case of GBā€™s aspect ratio is considering the TV and a SGB so the calculations for the HorizontalResolution are SNES_VR/3x4xGB_HR/SNES_HR and the same for the Game Gear considering VerticalResolution the same as the SNES, the results for the portable consoles donā€™t result in 4:3 aspect ratio, another considerations are the Game Gear as a derivative of the Master System and the Game Boy as a derivative of the Super Game Boy so all the systems explained result in 4:3 and the GB, GG as boxed in.

Considering a value beyond 224 VerticalResolution in 16bits gen games or below is useless as Iā€™m not aware of games having 240 visible pixels as long as the HorizontalResolution has 320 pixels in the 32bits gen for example.

1 Like