Correct way to save core overrides

I tried searching, but all related topics seems to be years old and a little off, so please forgive-me and let-me know if it’s not the right place to ask.

Anyway, what’s the correct procedure to create a core override? I tried loading a game for a specific core, than going to quick menu -> overrides -> save core overrides, but it doesn’t seem to be creating any files in the config -> “corename” folder and it’s not producing any effects.

(what I’m trying to do is to save a video driver change for pcsx2 core, which doesn’t seem to work with the default vulkan I’m using for retroarch).

That is the correct procedure, but it will only save an override if there’s a difference from your main config.

Try this (I’m assuming you’re in Windows): change your overall video driver to “glcore”, then quit RetroArch and reopen it. Go double-check that it’s still using glcore, then (assuming it still is), load PCSX2 with a game. Once it’s running, go to settings > driver and change from glcore to “d3d11”, then go to quick menu overrides and save a core override.

Close content, then quit out of RetroArch and then reopen it. Change your video driver back to vulkan in settings > driver (without any cores or content loaded), then quit RetroArch one more time.

At this point, you should have that override file present in config/[corename]/[corename].cfg with one line: video_driver = “d3d11”, and it should switch to it when the core is loaded. If for some reason that doesn’t happen, you can try just making that file on your own and see if that treats you any better. If not, report back and post a log of you trying to load a game and we’ll take another look.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. It worked just fine. The thing I didn’t really find intuitive is changing the core after loading the content in order to create the override file, because if a core isn’t able to load the content with the default core (which happened with PCSX2 being unable to load if vulkan is the default), I have to find a driver the loads the content and than change to a third one (so I loaded a game with dx11 and them changed to glcore). It’s kinda confusing I guess. Shouldn’t the override option create an override file even if it’s identical to the main one? Just wondering…

Anyway, thanks for helping me again. You’re too awesome! :smiley:

My pleasure! I’m glad that got you fixed up.

If it’s identical, do you mean it should create an empty file? I guess that would help people create manual overrides, but I’m not sure if there would be any drawbacks (aside from confusion from people seeing a file made and then wondering why nothing is happening differently). Dunno, it’s a thought.

1 Like

Not empty, but an override file with exactly the same settings as the main one (that way, if I changed the main settings, I’d still get the old settings on the override file, for instance). It’s more that the intuitive thing (to me, at least), would be to always have an override file created if I choose that option. What confused me was that I chose the option to create an override and didn’t find a file (I only understood that RetroArch won’t create an override file if the settings are the same when you explained). But maybe the intuitive for me isn’t the standard, idk.

Ah, yes, that is the old behavior we used for the “core-specific config” system from way-back-when. The problem with that is: it sets all of your current options in stone for that core.

So, for example, let’s say you like rewind, so you have it on globally. You save an override for some unrelated thing. Later on, you find that rewind causes issues, so you want to remove it globally, so you do so. But now, thanks to it still being enabled in that override (just because it dumped everything, whether it was different or not), that core always enables rewind, even though you think it’s off globally.

In short: the current behavior allows for more intentional changes and management of those intentional changes because it only dumps the differences.

2 Likes

I see. I didn’t know about that. Maybe just an observation on the override setting footnotes would be enough to avoid the kind of confusion I had, or maybe force dumping only the driver setting, because that’s the one that seems to cause problems as the content won’t load in some cores with a different driver setting… But again, just a thought. Thanks again for explaining all that to me. :smiley:

1 Like