Couple of n00b-questions about cores and shaders

Hi, I am new to RetroArch, and really impressed by the work and time the community invests in the conservation of video game history. I have a couple of questions that I need some guidance with.

I have loaded all the cores for SNES, NES and Nintendo 64. My questions are:

[ol] [li]How do I choose which core to use with each system? Are the cores game specific, or system specific?[/li][li]How do I configure each core?[/li][li]Where do I choose what shader to use with a specific core?[/li][/ol]

Hoping for quick replies, as I am awake and need to figure this out. :smiley:

1. I don’t use XMB, so I don’t know anything about doing it there, but generally the idea is you choose the core you want to use and then choose the game you want to load with the loaded core.

2. bring up the menu while you’re in a game and go to ‘core options.’

3. bring up the menu while you’re in a game and go to ‘shader options.’

It sounds like you’re wanting to do very different options for each core, so you can enable configuration per-core in settings > configuration and it will save a different config file for each core you load and re-load that config when you load the core in the future.

If you only want to change a few options, you can use the ‘overrides’ feature found in the same menu (overrides and core-specific configs are mutually exclusive), which lets you keep one main config file and then you can have mini-config files that just have the handful of options you want to change.

You have cleared up alot of confusion on my end. Thank you for a detailed and understandable answer. :slight_smile: