Crackling audio only with GBA games

I’ve been using Retroarch for a while now, and everything seems to be working perfectly. Except for some reason, I get occasional audio crackling while playing GBA games. It only happens with GBA games too. mGBA seems to have less of it than the other GBA emulators, but I’m still puzzled by the fact that this issue is isolated only to a specific system. I’ve tried tinkering around with different settings like the refresh rate and audio latency, but nothing I’ve tried solves it for every game. Some settings reduce the effect in some games, while either doing nothing or making it worse in others. It’s never a garbled mess, but it’s still distracting. Can anyone help me figure this out?

I raised Audio Rate Control Delta a few notches, and that appears to have solved the problem. Does that setting have any impacts on other things, such as input lag, or would it be ok to raise it a little more just to be on the safe side?

No, it’s fine. It just lets RetroArch resample the audio further from the original rate to keep the audio buffer from emptying. If you increase it too much, it can make the audio get warbly.