Crackling audio, resolution problems, etc. (Im having a lot of issues with Retroarch)

My card on this laptop is a Radeon R7 M265, and the CPU is an Intel i7 5500 @ 2.40 GhZ.

There’s different problems I run into with different settings, but I think it all leads back to my monitor being 4k resolution (I don’t know why I got a laptop with a 4k monitor but it felt like a good idea at the time)

But anyway, my specs should still be enough I think to be able to run even stuff like Contra on NEStopia without issue, but I get crackling. When I have crackling, it’s usually because VSync is on. And this is with OpenGL btw. Whether it’s on or off, my FPS is usually around 58. When VSync is off, shouldn’t the FPS be far, far higher? Both d3d and sdl12 have a much higher FPS with Vsync off, but GL makes me feel like my computer’s not powerful enough to even run it properly or something. With VSync off, I don’t get crackling at all, and my FPS still hovers around 58.

With D3D, turning VSync on gives an extremely minor crackle that’s not that noticeable, so that’s good. But with every game I’ve tried, the resolution/screen is super blown up. With fullscreen on, the games are nearly unplayable in both 4:3 PAR and Core Provided for the AR. In windowed, Core Provided is still somewhat blown up, and 4:3 PAR is completely playable, but the window is pretty damn small. When I try to enlarge the window myself, the screen gets blown up again.

In summary, with the two main video drivers, opengl and d3d, I have these issues with them: OpenGL VSync doesn’t really do anything – when it’s on, I have crackling audio. When it’s off, I have no audio problems, but the FPS doesn’t go nuts like I think it should. Is it fine that VSync doesn’t actually affect anything positively, apparently? Will turning VSync off negatively impact performance otherwise if it’s not really working?

D3D VSync does it’s job by capping the FPS, albeit there’s still extremely minor crackling. However, I just can’t get the video to work, as in fullscreen, the games get super blown up with 4:3 PAR and Core-Provided AR. In windowed, only 4:3 PAR seems to get a good image, but the image is a bit too small and I’d prefer it to be bigger. When I try to increase it manually, screen is blown up again. I think this is somehow due to the 4k monitor. Is there any way to remedy this problem?

And FYI, I have had Hard GPU Sync on for all of my tests

What’s the monitor refresh rate? Of course disabling vsync won’t make fps go nuts, got to throttle setting and disable it.

[QUOTE=Radius;24215]What’s the monitor refresh rate? Of course disabling vsync won’t make fps go nuts, got to throttle setting and disable it.[/QUOTE] The monitor is 60 Hz.

Try to lengthen the audio latency option. That fixed everything for a good laptop I had problems with.

Regarding the audio issues, try setting the audio driver to xaudio. dsound causes nothing but trouble on my end.