Crash after changing resolution (Beetle_HW_PSX)

I was able to change the resolution in the Beetle HW core for Playstation last week. I had an issue with the config where another core was crashing so I re-installed Retroarch. After the re-install I fixed the one core but now whenever I try to change the resolution in Beetle HW Retroarch crashes. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there a setting I need to change somewhere?

It shouldn’t crash, but make sure you’re using the correct renderer, and try checking the logs to see if it gives you any information.

I am using Vulkan. How would I check the logs? I can easily replicate the error.

Assuming Windows, shift+right-click in your RetroArch folder window and choose “open command window here…” then type:

retroarch_debug.exe --menu --verbose --log-file log.txt

and then go through the process of causing a crash. The log will be in the resulting log.txt file, the contents of which you can copy/paste to a site like pastebin.com and then post a link here and we can take a look.

Thanks! I will submit it soon. I’m sure it’s some small setting I have changed somewhere (It could just as easily be outside of RA). I just don’t know where to start looking

Ok this should be the URL. Let me know if there is a problem… and THANK YOU!

https://pastebin.com/GnSeqZNU

Ok, I think you’re not actually using Vulkan there. First, make sure you have vulkan selected for your video driver in settings > driver. If it’s not to vulkan, do that and then quit retroarch, reopen it and check again. If it’s set to vulkan now, you should be able to load beetle-psx-hw and choose the vulkan renderer and it will actually use it (I believe it’s silently falling back to GL in your current situation).

See if that treats you any better and, if not, post another log.

1 Like

I didn’t understand most of the log but I noticed several references to GL as well. I’ll try changing it again and let you know how it goes. Thank you!

That seemed to work. I changed it in the Settings>Drivers tab AND I changed it in the core’s options to another renderer and back and it is no longer crashing. Thanks again!

1 Like

Since I had to change the driver in the global settings and Vulkan does not work with all cores… Is there a way to save the global settings on a core to core basis? Also, is there an easier way to get a default config file if I mess something up besides re-installing? I forgot to copy it before making any changes…

If you just delete your retroarch.cfg, it will return you to default settings for the frontend. The core options are stored in retroarch-core-options.cfg (all settings for all cores in the same file, by default).

There’s no way to change video drivers (or input or audio drivers, etc. for that matter) on a per-core basis, as they require a full teardown and reinit to take effect. However, if you use a launcher like Hyperspin or Launchbox or whatever, you can point to different config files using the -c command line switch and those configs can contain different driver settings.

So the command line should look like…

-L “cores\mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll” -c retroarch-core-optionsPSXCONFIG.cfg

or

-L “cores\mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll” -c “retroarch-core-optionsPSXCONFIG.cfg”

neither one. it’s not the core options you need to change, it’s the driver option. So, you would make a copy of your retroarch.cfg and change the video_driver line from “gl” to “vulkan” and then point to it with:

-L “whatever” -c "path/to/psxconfig.cfg

1 Like