CRT-Guest-Advanced, HD and NTSC for ReShade!

Wait. Are you saying that ReShade Guest Advanced looks like that first image you posted with default settings?

I just did another test with full 1920x1200 (native res). The white lines are gone, but Reshade and RA Guest Advanced look completely different with default settings. Like this:

1)Base screenshot (320x200) from Steem.

1. Loaded into Imageviewer in Ra, Guest ADV. applied

3)Reshade Guest Advanced. The difference in sharpness looks to be due to me having 1920 instead of 320 as X resolution. The scanlines look different, I can’t tell from the defaults why.

Starflight_00002

1 Like

Have you tried clearing the cache in ReShade? You can find it in the settings tab.

And no worries if that doesn’t work, I’ll test with Steem in the morning anyway.

1 Like

RetroArch (Advanced) -

ReShade (Advanced) -

RetroArch (HD) -

ReShade (HD) -

RetroArch (NTSC) -

ReShade (NTSC) -

3 Likes

It only affects the standard Advanced on my end, no change after clearing cache and reinstalling ReShade to another folder. I’ll try and test with some other computers later.

1 Like

Here’s the Github link to the shader. (Please report any issues you find in these forums.)

IMPORTANT -

Always drag/move CRT-Guest-PreShader above CRT-Guest-Advanced, CRT-Guest-HD or CRT-Guest-NTSC in the ReShade menu.

EXAMPLE -

5 Likes

I did some testing on my Surface laptop (Intel GPU). Problems with dx9 are worse there and it’s not limited to one shader port, so I have to assume that Reshade with DX9 is just the relatively worst combo compared to the other apis… Your shader ports work in principle I don’t really want you dig into further (at least on my behalf).

2 Likes

I normally use RetroArch with Sonkun’s shaders applied.

I’d like to apply a similar effect to some retro PC games and stand alone emulators which is why I stumbled on to this post about ReShade.

I’m using a 1080p monitor and I’m having difficulty getting it to look similar to the RetroArch example I included below. Here are some of the differences that I would like to change

1. The dithering effect (example grey area below the carts) isn’t creating a gradient
  2. The text is more blurry in Reshade and in some games it causes letters to bleed together and it’s not uniform e.g. look at the two 0’s in 2001
  3. The image is darker in Reshade than it is in RetroArch

Do you know if it’s possible for me to tweak the settings within ReShade to create an image that is closer to the RetroArch example.

No Filter Applied

RetroArch Sonkun Shader

Reshade CRT-Guest Advance

Reshade CRT-Guest HD

Reshade CRT-Guest NTSC

1 Like

Man I wish I could help especially being the creator of the presets. Unfortunately I have no knowledge on Reshade or how to port my presets to them. By the way I releases a brand new update to my presets two days if you haven’t seen it yet. Got a brand new look.

Thanks for replying and letting me know about the update.

Your RetroArch shaders are 100% my favorite shaders to use however I can’t see to find an alternative for standalone emulators and old PC games.

My thought process is that since this ReShade shader also uses Guest Advanced I can hopefully get a similar type of look I just don’t understand how to use ReShade enough to make that happen.

1 Like

Thank you I appreciate it. Hopefully you’ll like the new look as I’ve given everything a new make over, looks way better now in my opinion. I’m assuming it should be tweakable on there to get a similar look but yes I’ll eventually get on Reshade so I can figure out how to port my presets there, the more places it can be used the better.

First thing first you need to set your 2 resolution settings in ReShade correctly.

The resolution in your ReShade preset is higher than the resolution in your RetroArch example leading to a higher number of scanlines.

That number needs to match what you have in RetroArch for things to begin to look more similar.

See here for more info:

I guess I’m confused about this, Per the link you provided it indicates that I should set X & Y Resolution to what is found in the Preprocessor definitions. When I check that section of ReShade it indicates Resolution_X = 320 & Resolution_Y = 240 which is what I have it set to currently.

If this is different in RetroArch do you know where I can locate that information so I can correct the settings in ReShade to match?

1 Like

Yes, you might be a little confused. The instructions state:

Always make sure Resolution_X and Resolution_Y are the same size as Resolution X and Resolution Y respectively.

The part about preprocessor definitions does not give you the correct values, it’s merely a note to help you to physically locate where the parameters are in the list (not the values you should put in).

The values you should use should match the native, unscaled resolution of the content.

Only then will you get the correct number of scanlines.

Thank you. I appreciate you explaining that. For GBA, the original resolution is 240x160. The scanlines now appear to line up with the RetroArch example.

The clarity on the image, darker tint, and blurry/stretched text I assume would have to be adjusted within other ReShade settings. Any suggestions on which particular settings I would need to adjust?

1 Like

So, I have to use DX9 even though I use Vulkan?

I need help configuring like RGB or S-video settings for like the Duckstation, PCSX2 and Dolphin. I’m looking for the nostalgia but cleaner shader for these emulators and not interested in HD upscaling. I prefer the authentic look to these. Thank you.

Hello, can anyone help on getting the perfect settings from Composite to RGB for standalone PCSX2 and Dolphin?

Any chance in an update to the newest version of crt-guest-advanced from 2023-11-24-r1

1 Like

Would you also consider porting shaders such as Gdapt and MiSTer’s Genesis composite blending shaders to Reshade?