CRT Settings

I’m trying my best to understand the current CRT Settings in RetroArch.

I’ve used CRT Emudriver to install the modelines I want. I’ve then used ArcadeOSD to align then all correctly. I can switch between them just fine on my windows desktop.

No matter what combination of Settings i seem to try I can’t resolve this one problem; it’s all shifted to the right.

I fixed this with those resolutions on Arcade OSD though, so I don’t know what I am missing. I’ve tried the switches.ini from docs.libretro, but I don’t know if I set it right…

In fact, no changes seem to do anything for me. Porch adjust, x centering…

Is anyone familiar with what is happening? I feel like I should just have to change x-axis centering to fix this, but I can’t make it work.

This thread seems to have the most up-to-date information (and you’ve posted in it lol):

1 Like

@SkyHighGam3r as @hunterk suggests all the information you need is over on the other thread. However, Just to sum up the info.

Switches dynamically changes all the porches on-the-fly using the settings laid out in the settings.ini.

AcadeOSD allows you to change installed resolution and save them. These will still be dynamically modified by SwitchRes to match all teh ini options. If you want to disable the dynamic resolutions of SwitchRes and use what you have installed disable “modeline_generation” in your swicthres.ini. this should then detect and switch to the resolutions you have installed without changing them.

modeline_generation       0

However, unless you have thousands of resolutions installed not all modes will be correct for some systems. The best alternative is to play with the porch generation in your switchres.ini as suggested in the other thread.

One last note. This same porch algorithm is used when installed resolutions with CRTemudriver. Maybe play with these and keep instilling resolution until you don’t have to play with ArcadeOSD. then use these settings in your switchres.ini

-Ben

2 Likes

Apologies all around; for the double post, for the month+ late response… I’ve been having a horrible time. My cat died VERY suddenly, I’ve been working 17 hour days every other week, and that all amounted to nothing because I didn’t get the promotion I’d been working all year towards, huge blowout family fight over the holiday…

Anyway none of that is here nor there. The real point is I appreciate you both responding and re-iterating on the solution to the issue. It pointed me down into that switchres.ini and I was about to flip modeline generation to 0 and try that out when I saw the line for “h_shift = 0” under “Apply geometry correction to calculated modlines”.

I set that variable to “-10” (picked a random number) and then when that didn’t work I set it to “-50”… and when that didn’t work I noticed in Video > CRT SwitchRes that I still needed to set INI instead of 15khz.

Then I popped open Sonic 3 and thought to turn on “Full” borders in Core Options as well. Now it’s lining up perfectly. Can’t imagine I just got lucky with that “-50” value… not with my luck lately. I don’t know what fixed it exactly but everything is working now,

Anyway I wanted to at least follow up, and not leave you guys hanging. I really do appreciate your responses, even if it took me forever to circle back.