CRT SwitchRes on Taito Egret 3

Hello everyone

I’m stuggling to make retroarch work on my Taito Egret 3 arcade cabinet. Is there anywhere a step by step instruction how to do that? I used this guide (https://cdcruze.com/2019/03/retroarch-and-crt-emudriver-setup-guide/). What works till now is groovymame and normal MAME arcade games. I also added this lines to the use_mode_super.ini in CRT EmuDriver and generated them.

** 2560 x 192 @ 60.000000 retroarch* ** 2560 x 200 @ 60.000000 retroarch* ** 2560 x 240 @ 60.000000 retroarch* ** 2560 x 224 @ 60.000000 retroarch* ** 2560 x 237 @ 60.000000 retroarch* ** 2560 x 256 @ 50.000000 retroarch* ** 2560 x 254 @ 55.000000 retroarch* ** 2560 x 448 @ 60.000000 retroarch* ** 2560 x 480 @ 60.000000 retroarch*

When i start the retroarch menu (the rgui) i can see it in windowed mode. When i enable “Start in Fullscreen Mode” i hear a relais click in the monitor chassis and the picture is kind of black and gone. When i enable enable "CRT SwitchRes " the picture is a pure “horizontal mess”.

Im using the 20-01-06-x64 retroarch version. I’m playing around already for a few month with this problem and just can’t find a solution. I hope someone can give me a hint. Thanks!

Is the monitor a 31 khz, 15 khz or mode-switching model? The “horizontal mess” sounds like it’s just sending it an out-of-range signal.

Yes its a mode switching chassis (15/24/31 kHz). https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Taito_Egret_3

hmm, in that case it should be able to handle it regardless, I would think.

So, in settings > video > CRT SwitchRes, you have the CRT Super Resolution set to 2560, I take it? Are you also using the RGUI menu? That shouldn’t affect signals being out of range, but just making sure you have the other stuff lined up, as well.

Ok step by step what i did: First all pics of CRT EmuDriver

I deleted the Retroarch.cfg file and startet Retroarch so it made a new one. I changed menu_driver = “rgui”. I set the adavanced mode in the Retroarch menu and turned on SwitchRes. CRT Super Resolution = 2560 (was default like that). After i turned on SwitchRes the menu shrinked on my LCD screen which i also have connected.

I unpluged my LCD screen and had this picture on my Egret 3.

Ok, looks like you’re getting there.

You also need to be running RetroArch in exclusive (i.e., non-windowed) fullscreen

Ok i set Retroarch to Fullscreen. As soon as i do that i hear a click on my chassis and the picture goes “black”. Restartet the PC & Egret 3 and started Retroarch again => relais click and black screen. If i plug my LCD screen on i can see the Retroarch menu in Fullscreen but not on my Egret 3. It seems that it switches to a strange mode. :thinking:

Is your Egret monitor set as the primary display?

If you have an AMD card, why are you not using native resolution?

If you use AcadeOSD and switch to 2560x240@60, does it work?

If you use AcadeOSD and switch to 320x240@60, does it work?

You should really use the GL driver over D3D.

Do not set the aspect ratio.

Use core provided aspect ratio.

crt_switch_resolution_super = “0” // for native resolutions
video_driver = “gl” // 
video_aspect_ratio = 
aspect_ratio_index = 21  //  core provided

Is your Egret monitor set as the primary display? I set my Egret as primary for the test now, yes. It wasn’t before.

If you use AcadeOSD and switch to 2560x240@60, does it work? If you use AcadeOSD and switch to 320x240@60, does it work? Sorry but what is ArcadeOSD?!?

I changed now these settings from the original retroarch.cfg and nothing more

menu_driver="rgui"
crt_switch_resolution_super = “0” // for native resolutions
video_driver = “gl” // 
video_aspect_ratio =   // **is that correct with no " " ?!?**
aspect_ratio_index = 21  //  core provided

So if i start a Game (NES), i hear the click again from the chassis and the screen goes black.

ArcadeOSD comes with CRTEmudriver, it should be within your unzipped folder. It used for adjusting porches/ image position on installed resolutions. It also has allows you to switch to each resolution. Using this you can test if your installed resolutions are are working.

You will need to create a new resolution ini or edit the one you installed before. Add the lines found at the bottom of the following readme at github https://github.com/alphanu1/MME4CRT but it will probably be easier to stick with 2560.

You can also try different supper resolutions 1920 or 3840. Just edit the resolution ini and change 2569 to one of the other, then change RetroArch settings to one of the following.

crt_switch_resolution_super = “1920” 
crt_switch_resolution_super = “3840” 

Let me know if your installed resolutions are working, Unfortunately, I do not have a miltisync monitor to test on.

Is there an option here in the forum to add files?

Conclusion at the beginning: As soon as i set in RetroArch.cfg video_fullscreen = “true”, it’s game over. Means that i hear the click in the chassis and i see a dark screen. Without fullscreen i have a window and can see the game but very flickery.

And this is what i tried.

1. i added a few modeslines and installed them with CRT Emudriver. First a file with everything set to 2560 as the one you see in the dropbox link.

then i tried Arcade OSD. Picture is stable except the ones in interlace mode. I guess it’s the modes with the “i”.

I set in retroarch.cfg "crt_switch_resolution_super = “2560” and started a game => black screen.

This whole process i also did with 1920 and 3840. Same result => black screen.

I really think it’s best to give up and enjoy retro arch on my PC only. There it works perfect. Lets see if a more advanced user shows up in the future with such a setup. I’m at the end :frowning: