Current state of N64 cores?

I notice there’s been a ton of commits on Parallel recently - is that now the go-to core for N64?

Mupen64plus was pretty flawless for most games except a handful that had issues, issues that have since been fixed upstream.

Does Parallel now have those fixes? And how does one get a mupen64plus-like experience from Parallel (what plugins etc)?

I have tried ParaLLEl and it works OK for the most part with AngryLion and CXD4 but even on my system (i7 4790K @ stock, Nvidia 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB) games like Perfect Dark and GoldenEye etc. is struggling and sometimes it’s a little bit unstable.

As for Mupen64Plus, I don’t really know as I’m still using GLupeN64. I find it to be more stable but the core I’m using is from 2017-01-30 so it’s starting to get a little old.

Once ParaLLEl gets more updated in the future it will definitely be my choice for N64 emulation but for now that GLupeN64 core is still doing it’s job OK.

ParaLLEl is a good foundation as it aims for accuracy but it’s in early stages and afaik the main author isn’t working on it much. So it will take a while until it gets when it needs to be. For now, it’s just not as compatible as the other two emulators (PJ64 and Mupen).

The Mupen RetroArch Core has it’s own problems compared to the standalone. Problem is, it lacks the updates that made hard to emulate games work really well. All games from Factor-5 and the later games from BOSS work in both PJ64 and Mupen standalones but not on the core. There are some other games that also have problems in the core but work fine on the standalone, from my own tests.

So basically, the current state isn’t great if you want to use RetroArch as your primary N64 emulator. However, there’s talk about merging the best parts of the two cores soon (ParaLLel+GlideN64) and focus on one core instead of two so that will hopefully change the deal. Assuming the latest fixes are implemented, this will probably be as compatible or even more than the two main standalones.

I’ve been using Parallel ever since they changed the core names a while back and it’s been superior in every way that I can tell…

Rogue Squadron DOES play on Parallel, you just have to manually switch the Core Options around for the plugins, “auto” won’t pick it up. I don’t know what BOSS games are though…

I would have to disagree with GemaH completely and say the state of RetroArch as a primary N64 emulator is fantastic. That’s just my opinion of course, and it’s based entirely on, can I play this game in an enjoyable manner?