Cx4 support in Bsnes

I seem to remember being able to run both Mega Man X2 and X3 on bsnes in the past. Was this just my imagination?

Yes it works you just need the BIOS files check core information or the wiki

That was the first thing I did. I have the required bios files. When I go to run it the screen just goes black

I remember when I first used the core. Properly-formatted files for the Cx4 BIOS for use with RetroArch weren’t readily available. I had to convert them from a different format, and it took me some struggling to get them working.

You’re probably better off using a bsnes_mercury core and emulating the separate game chip BIOSes. It’s easier and more convenient, and I’m sure the emulated BIOSes are accurate enough for your purposes. I personally can’t tell a difference. Besides, unless you have a top-end CPU, you’ll run into slowdown with Mega Man X2 and X3 if using the actual Cx4 BIOS.

Are you using the Performance profile? That one doesn’t support Cx4 games at all.

Awesome. Thank you both for your replies. I WAS using the Performance profile. I switched over to Balance profile in Bsnes Mercury using the emulate bios function and it did the trick. Thank you again :slight_smile: