Debian Jessie (testing) - How to Build Retroarch/Cores

After some work and investigation, I have successfully built Retroarch 1.3.4 and most cores in Debian Stretch, fully functional. I hope some people appreciate this, as there is very little to go on on the internet, aside from the wiki (which was the best help I got) and some very vague posts. Anyhow, open terminal and:

First, install all dependencies

sudo apt-get install debhelper dh-exec libasound2-dev libavcodec-dev libavdevice-dev libavformat-dev libavutil-dev libc6-dev libdrm-dev libegl1-mesa-dev libfreetype6-dev libgbm-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libopenal-dev libpulse-dev libsdl2-dev libswscale-dev libudev-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libv4l-dev libxinerama-dev libxml2-dev libxv-dev libxxf86vm-dev pkg-config python3-dev x11proto-xext-dev zlib1g-dev devscripts git nvidia-cg-toolkit

Then:

Go to a directory that you would like to download to (ie: Downloads)

git clone git://github.com/libretro/libretro-super.git

Move to the directory created:

cd libretro-super

Run the command to fetch all files (takes some time of course):

./libretro-fetch.sh

Then build retroarch:

./retroarch-build.sh

Then build all cores (again, more time. Go get something to eat/drink):

NOCLEAN=1 ./libretro-build.sh

Then Install:

mkdir -p ~/ra/cores
cd retroarch
make DESTDIR=~/ra install
cd ..
./libretro-install.sh ~/ra/cores

You will have an “ra” directory in your home folder. In ~/ra/usr/local/bin is the Retroach executable. Run it and be sure to set up all paths (to cores in ~/ra/cores, to your tmp directory for file extraction, etc).

It should be self explanatory from here if you have used Retroarch on any platform in the past. Additional cores (and assets, so on) can be downloaded from inside of RetroArch. Enjoy!

Bad tutorial for those looking for a simple emulator. Forces you to download hundreds upon hundreds of megs of garbage you dont need. Avoid!!

This guide is perfectly good for people looking to build retroarch and do some development work, stop spreading fud. Source code is not garbage, it’s not what you need to play games but it has it’s purpose.

Oh yeah, “avoid”! This guide “forces” you to download the build dependencies and the source code for the emulator and cores…which is needed to build the emulator and cores. Numskull.

Updated the guide for installation in the latest Debian testing (Stretch) for RetroArch v1.3.4. If you want to bypass building the cores you can…and just download them within the Retroarch updater. It is your call. Works splendidly in the current Debian testing.

Hi guys! I’m sorry I’m a bit new… and my questions may sound… dumb =)So I followed these steps on a debian 8 x64 fresh install (I actually followed the retrowiki ones that are the same). It took about an hour downloading libretro cores (that normal?) and I could execute “retroarch” on the install folder ~/ra… so far so good!Now… Im pretty new to this but… typing “retroarch” on terminal doesnt work (I need this to use it with emulationstation)The install folder contains system folders…(etc, usr) should I cut them and paste them on the system (merge on / )? or leave them there on the ~/ra folder?What should I do with that “libretro-super” 8gb folder that I ended up with? (I only used retroarch in mint, and it was like 200-500mb tops maybe? or am I wrg?)I noticed also that on mint, it creates usr/share/libretro with the info files, and another folder for the .so files… and on debian they are all merged into ~/ra/cores. should I try to sort them out like I have it on mint? or point the retroarch internally to them where they are??also I couldn’t start the pretty gui thingy (got stuck with the ugly one even when switching inside the program)Thanks in advance, sorry for being such a noob =) working on it!

Glad you got it up and running. You can merge into / and retroarch will run from a command line using the binary in the root folder. You can delete the libretro-super folder…that just contains the source you needed to compile RA and the cores. When you build from source it does take a long time because you are downloaded a LOT of source code and compile time varies depending on how powerful your computer is. So, yeah, it can take hours. But again, when done and you have the “ra” folder with the executable and cores you are done and the source can be deleted. The nice GUI’s (like the XMB) are downloadable by using the integrated downloader in RA.

I actually created a spin of Sparky Linux (debian testing) based on Gnome that includes Retroarch 1.3.4 and most cores…ready to go with the nice GUI’s, accessible in the Gnome menu (and the distro has much much more):

Just a quick chime in that Retroarch is FINALLY in the Debian Testing (and SID) repos! Congratulations guys! So, while you can build it still to obtain the latest version, version 1.3.0 is available now in the repos. Really really great news!

eightbit, your spin is what I was looking for as this saves me quite a lot of hassle. However, I need a particular piece of software installed but since this forum is about RetroArch, I will ask my inquiry at Sparky. In short I was looking for a distro that had as many emulators as possible including RA. See you there!

Anyone know how to build a core for android or a tutorial?..i. looking for the mess or ume core for android

I’m also looking for this with a little extra help on how to setup the actual build environment. Hope someone can drop some pointers in.

I I downloaded the stuff advised in the git tutorial (NDK, ant ect) not really sure what to do with it all

Yea…the problem I’m having is with mess systems in android hyperspin…with the current 181 mame it is set with boot 2 bios off…now some mess systems need this on to load…but if it’s on it screws up other systems…that’s why I need the mess or ume android core alone without being integrated with mame…that way 1 can be set boot2bios and the other not…smh…I’m been searching all over for mess or ume android cores and no one seems to have a copy of it :frowning:

Running Devuan, and i needed this…

Running SteamOS - I needed this…