Default keys to set on x-arcade dual joystick

Hi, 1.4.1 auto recognized my xbox one wireless controllers which is awesome. I also have an x-arcade dual joystick (looks like a normal keyboard to RA and emulators) plugged into my Windows PC that is running RA. If I want to use my x-arcade as well as keep my current xbox controllers working, what mappings should i program into my x-arcade so it can also navigate RA and also play games with its player1 and player2 stick and buttons? But I don’t want my xbox one controllers to stop working either. I want to be able to use either one for RA and player1 and player2 in games. Can you tell me what keyboard mappings would work best for me to program my x-arcade and how I could then also add those mappings to p1 and p2 controls as well? Thank you. ps: Netplay is awesome!

You’ll probably need to edit your retroarch.cfg in a text editor to get it going but it’s not that hard if you keep at it.

X-arcade sticks show up as a keyboard and use MAME’s default keyboard mapping, which conflicts with some of RetroArch’s default hotkey mapping. So, you’ll need to go through the cfg and change any of those conflicting hotkeys to another key or just “nul” to unmap it altogether. Once that’s done, you can start assigning the retropad buttons to the keys it uses, for example: input_player1_start = “5”

Using the forum’s search function, you should be able to find a number of threads discussing this process.

Once you have your X-Arcade set up for P1 and P2, any time you plug in your xbone pads, they should get autoconfigured and steal the P1 and P2 slots, and then give them back to the X-Arcade once unplugged.

So, I don’t need to use the MAME mappings. X-arcade comes with 3 extra programming banks so you can map any keyboard keys you want to everything in its own memory bank. So I was hoping to get the RA defaults so I could make my x-arcade sticks and buttons match that in one of my extra memory banks. I have RA 136 running now and it works with both xbox controllers AND my x-arcade 1p and 2p at the SAME time. I don’t have to disconnect or power off the xbox one controllers at all. If I"m in a game and playing with xbox one and decide to finish the game on the x-arcade p1, I can just start using the x-arcade even while the xbox one is still active. But when I set this up for my RA 136 version, I ended up nul-ing tons of other RA conflicting hotkeys. So, I’m hoping to avoid that this time, doing it cleanly and without messing up RA’s other hotkey mappings and such. I hope you’re not saying in RA 141 that my x-arcade and xbox ones can’t all stay active at the same time to use as I wish?

Can someone explain how to even post in here because apparently I cannot figure it out

Oh, I gotcha. Yeah, what you’ve done already is fine, obviously. The default mappings for RetroArch only include P1 and they are: arrow keys for dpad, z/x/a/s for b/a/y/x, respectively, q and w for L and R, r-shift for select and enter for start. Everything else is unmapped by default, IIRC.

Thanks @hunterk , I guess what I’m really trying to get is an RA suggested set of mappings to use for p1 and p2 on my x-arcade so I can program that and not have to worry about duplicate key clashing with other RA mappings like hotkeys. Would you happen to have a set of mappings for p1 and p2 like this? It’s really hard to search the config file for every single mapping I might choose myself. So, if you or anyone has a set of key mappings I can program into my dual x-arcade, that would be awesome. p1 and p2 each have a joystick and 8 buttons, there is a p1 and p2 button (but can be for anything), and a left and right button on the x-arcade left and right side.

I think there are a few configs floating around to match the MAME defaults. I use a JPAC in my arcade cabinet and it uses MAME defaults, as well. It ends up with a number of hotkeys being "nul"ed but that’s not a big deal, since you won’t be using a keyboard with it anyway.

I don’t have a cabinet and I do have a keyboard that I can also use for other hotkeys and stuff when needed. Do you at least have a list of keys that your default hotkeys are set to? Then it would be easy to just make sure I don’t set those when programming the x-arcade

This document has all of the default config options, including keymapping:

ok, this is too much work to do again. so i just copied over my 136 RA main cfg file which has my existing x-arcade mappings and tons of hotkey nuls to my new 141 setup. hoping that doesn’t mess anything up by missing new 141 cfg settings or better default 141 values. btw, with RA 141, this is the very FIRST time I was ever able to startup a clean new RA without having to manually bind my xbox one or xbox 360 controllers. it just worked out of box for the first time ever like it’s supposed to! and the xbox buttons to select and go back in RA are much easier for me now that A button selects and B button goes back!

You should be fine bringing over your old config.