Default savefiles / savestates directories

Hi, I’ve been having some issues lately with RetroArch, I’ll try to describe it as best as I can:

RetroArch’s default config defaults this settings:

• savefile_directory = “/storage/emulated/0/RetroArch/saves”
  • savestate_directory = “/storage/emulated/0/RetroArch/states”
  • rgui_browser_directory = “default”

I then change them to where I store my ROMS, savestates and savefiles:

• savefile_directory = “/storage/emulated/0/VideoGames/NES/Saves”
  • savestate_directory = “/storage/emulated/0/VideoGames/NES/States”
  • rgui_browser_directory = “/storage/emulated/0/VideoGames/NES/ROMS”

I save them to a new config file and quit RetroArch from the menu. I then reopen RetroArch and when I load the new config, only the rgui_browser_directory seems to load the value correctly, the other two still show the value for the default config, as if it’s not reading or updating correctly.

I know the config file saves the correct value if I edit it out of RetroArch, it shows the directory I selected, but for some reason it’s not loading correctly when I select the config file.

I even tested on Windows and it seems to not be working correctly for me.

I’m on the latest nightly build of 1.6.9, I can’t really tell what’s the last version that worked correctly for me as I haven’t played that much over these last months and I was trying to play again recently.

Are you saving to new config files or core overrides? Probably the way to do it would be to load RetroArch, load a game, go into the menu, change the settings, then save a core override.

This seems to work ok, it loads the values correctly after loading the core and a rom.

Where are the overrides saved to?

And any idea why this changed? Previously I just loaded a config file and everything was ready so I’d just load a core and a game. This is because I have a single config per system because I usually play on different cores.

We used to support an option called “per-core configuration” but it was buggy and did all sorts of weird shit, so we killed that off (like 2 yrs ago) and replaced it with the override system whereby you have one big config for global options and then you just make tiny override configs that contain only the things you want to change from global for that specific core/game.

It should be saving them in config/core-name/core-name.cfg, I think.

I see the directory and cfg file for the overrides, but they are blank files. They do load the correct values so they must be saving somewhere else