Development Suggestions

I’d like to see easier/more flexible controller mapping— maybe something similar to MAME or other emulators where you can just select a button or axis on a controller directly. It would make mapping controllers per core a breeze, especially for controllers like the N64, Colecovision, Intellivision, etc.

2 Likes

Can someone help make a image for lakka for the orange pi zero and the orange pi zero 2 plus h3 processor

I’d like to request some sort of relative folder implementation for use in the iOS config files.

Currently iOS configs include what looks like the full path to any folders in the app sandbox files section (“Documents and Data”?). Unfortunately, this path includes the app ID (I’m not sure if that’s the right terminology) which changes every time the app is rebuilt/installed, meaning that you have to go through and manually edit your config files every time you update the app to use the ID.

For example the “system” folder might go from /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/ABCD-EFG-1234-5678/Documents/Retroarch/config/system to /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/ZYXW-987-451-1451/Documents/Retroarch/config/system

Given that retroarch config setups can be quite complex (for example, if you want the GB shader for gameboy games but a CRT shader for home console games…etc.) it would be a lot easier if the configs did not need to be manually edited with every build. Now, I’ve learned this based off of how the app itself saves configs, so if I missed an easier way of handling this please let me know.

Underlays/in game backgrounds Since so many games have different aspect ratios I think it would be great to have an underlay image option. Overlays sizes have to be changed when sized as borders for different aspects to avoid blackspace between it & the viewport underlays would show in whatever blackspace there is outside of the viewport. It would be great to save per core too.

Right now I have generic Genesis border overlays (the red stripe & the black/grey lines) but on auto aspect I come across games with varied viewport sizes (Such as the ultra wide Adventures of Batman & Robin). Retinkering overlay positioning sucks having a backdrop to fill that 16:9 black bar area in any case would be awesome.

2 Likes

Hi, I know the main thing is to improve the UI, the amount of colors and their quality, but I wanted to install lakka (.iso) for ‘multibootusb’ to open with other distributions, I researched a bit, and I am not the first to try, And I do not know how to program either So even if it is not possible to increment this function, I would like to know of some script that will make this possible. Translated text.

I was working over a custom controller overlay tonight, and ran into some small limitations and a bug/oversight. So, I have a couple overlay-related suggestions to make it more visually-capable.

Bug/oversight: If you use an overlay to target multiple buttons (eg: overlay0_desc4 = “left|down, 0.0, etc…”), there doesn’t seem to be any way to make the appropriate buttons on the overlay light up. Maybe this could be solved with something like “overlay0_desc4_proxy = desc0,desc1”, to tell the appropriate overlay elements to light up.

"alpha_rest" and “alpha_press” with normalized alpha values. (0.0 to 1.0 = 0% to 100% opacity)

This would be useful for overlays with decorative elements, and allows for tighter control over how overlay elements are displayed. The example image above uses a single transparent overlay image for the line art/button names, and two simple images shared across four per-button overlays.

By using normalized alpha values, overall overlay opacity could be controlled via Onscreen Overlay > Overlay Opacity. So for example: If an overlay features the lines “overlay0_desc0_alpha_rest = 0.5”, but RetroArch’s Overlay Opacity is set to 0.70, “overlay0” would end up displaying at 0.35 opacity.

(If “alpha_mod” is defined, “alpha_press” could be used to determine how bright a button should display.)

"overlay_rest" and “overlay_press”, allowing different images to be used for rest/press states.

The example image above is styled to be simple - All essential buttons have two states, and feature transparent markings when pressed. Additional examples: buttons that “physically” push in, or a D-Pad represented by an arcade stick that “snaps” between directions using an image for each directional input (instead of using analog controls and a moveable overlay to approximate the effect).

I’d also suggest allowing “nul” as a valid option for rest/press states, so that an overlay can be told to display literally nothing while in a specific state.

There’s already a trick you can do with the alpha mod setting to achieve something similar, though you can’t get the nice reverse-print effect: save a second set of filled buttons that have identical coordinates to the button outlines. Take those filled buttons into photoshop/gimp/whatever and set the opacity to 1% and then in your overlay.cfg, set your alpha_mod setting to 100.0. Most overlays use 2.0 for that, which represents a doubling of the opacity, so setting it to 100 makes it multiply the opacity value by 100x, taking your 1% opaque images up to fully opaque.

The rest of the stuff would have to be added and the question becomes whether it’s better to shoehorn it into the overlay system or have another system that’s specifically designed for this sort of thing (ditto for the overlay borders that people like to make).

1 Like

Oh shoot. I almost stumbled across that trick myself, I just hadn’t thought to alter the filled button images themselves. Works rather nicely, thank you! I can live without the reverse-print effect (or use the same alpha-mod trick to fake it), but figured there’s no harm in making a suggestion.

I noticed that border overlays tend to be created more often than controller overlays. Admittedly, having both types of overlays being referred to as just “overlays” has made searches a little confusing.

Quick suggestion, hope this gets added soon since we really need it!

Is there any way you can add touch controls, or have them be enabled straight away on Windows? I’m using the linx vision which has windows 10, but it’s a tablet, and retroarch doesn’t have touch controls so I can’t use it in anyway.

touch controls are already there, you’re just going to need to do a little cfg editing if you can’t hook up a keyboard.

Open your retroarch.cfg in a text editor and change “menu_driver” to “glui” and “menu_pointer_enable” to “true”. You’ll also probably want to set “menu_unified_controls” to “true”. This will give you the same menu and behavior we have on mobile devices. You’ll probably want to use a nightly build if you do this, though, as 1.6.3 had some unfortunate touch-related bugs.

Once you can move around in the menus with touch, go to settings > onscreen display > onscreen overlay and use the ‘overlay preset’ option to find a gamepad overlay. I suggest gamepads > flat > retropad.cfg. Then use the “display overlay” option to enable it.

If the touch menu is getting on your nerves and you would rather navigate with the touch gamepad, just disable “hide overlay in menu” and it will show up and cancel out the touch input. Once that’s done, you can also switch over to the fancy xmb menu–which doesn’t support touch on its own without the gamepad overlay–in settings > driver > menu if you like.

While you’re on that subject, is there any possible trick when designing an overlay to define an area where the touchscreen would not react to fingers?
Like described in that issue, both interfering prevents using an overlay gamepad + touchscreen as a mouse simultaneously in Doom.

Not that I can think of, no :frowning:

Hi,

I don’t know how to create a new thread here, so i’m posting here…

I’d like to create a 20$ bounty for a Solarus Engine core. I really like solarus engine, and i think it’d be a great fit for retroarch. And i’m sure it’d also help the solarus engine project to get more people to create zelda games.

Would it be possible, to port solarus engine to libretro? solarus-games.org

I’ve created a bounty source account, but i don’t know who to create a new bounty. Thx

@Talantyyr : you should post in Bounty discussion category. First you need to create an issue on RA github issue tracker then it will get the bounty label.

Thank you. Done. And the bounty is up already :slight_smile:

No problem you are welcome, cool !

Hello I think to improve Nintendo 64 emulation you should add the Project64 emulators on RetroArch, this is the best emulator . Is it possible to add it in a future ?

Thanks for your answer

I am new here I am french I did not know retroarch before, I think retroarch is the future that is why I am asking you to improve this multiplatform emulator to add Project 64 the best N64 emulator.

François Regards

They’ve mentioned before that Project 64 is very difficult to port to RA on multiplatform, and that they most likely won’t port it over,. Project 64 is a application mostly, if not all designed for win32, and from what I remember they’re front end code is all mixed up with their back end code, and that it would be very difficult to split apart.

Ok ok it is a pity hope that the other N64 will reach the Project64 level emulation. What about Kega Fusion for Sega which is one of the best too ? Sorry to ask that maybe someone has already asked that before but Iam new here.

Regards

ONE BIG SUGGESTION to develop

work on retroachievments list ,

this is one of the most important

must look as trophy room not only list of locked/unlocked words

XBOX360 have good achievments

Playstation 3 have bad achievments

use tab with icons and down side text rectangle , screen

tab 400 GP achievment icons , as is on XBOX 360

and bellow rectangle for text description

visible shoot out of achievments as retroarchievment icons , use it ,