Development Suggestions

It requires rooting your device in most (all?) cases but my workaround for that is to mount an NFS share (CIFS / Samba / Windows share would work as well but I’ve found that kernel support for them is spottier on my devices and I don’t necessarily want to install a custom kernel just for that). Then any program that supports browsing the local filesystem (such as RA) can simply be pointed at the mountpoint. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ye, i used CIFS on some of my devices but far from all got that support, and many of them dont get a custom kernel with that support and compiling one is a bit to advanced for me, :confused: , and having a “network browse require root” option aint bad compared to no network browsing, :wink:

Havent found any other way to mount a netowrk share in android other than using CIFS, to bad its not as easy as windows mounting a Samba share to a drive letter.

Mounting an NFS share isn’t too different than mounting a CIFS share from a command-line with busybox’s mount (I use a shell script to make it easy) but I think you’re right if you’re looking for a simple app to do the mount for you. Of course this also entails setting up the NFS share on your server / NAS first as well which can be an adventure in its own right. :stuck_out_tongue:

In GLUI the grey menu bars on top and bottom are in the way when I want to adjust a shader, start/end line option or such. Like when trying to adjust an overscan option in crt-geom: I can’t see the exact spot where I’m trying to get rid of some black bars.

It would be great to have them transparent / an option to disable them / hide them when in “shader preview menu” or core options.

Is it possible each time you enter the xmb menu from a game it always goes to the Quick Menu screen?, as I notice the first time you enter the xmb menu from a game it does indeed go to the quick menu but after that it stays on the last menu screen you were on when exiting the xmb and went back to the game.

Also can video settings be added to the quick menu screen

I wouldn’t want that. It’s great they made it remember the last screen we used. When tinkering with video options or anything like that it’s really nice to go back where you were. Or make it an option.

Odd that Video was in the quick menu a few version back then

I was using the Core Input Remapping option and I think it’s lacking a “disable” case for a button mapping. Like when playing DS games I don’t want any button to close the lid, I put and hotkey in its place.

Add the option to use cheats in the FBA/MAME cores.

an improvment to the content scanner is to have tickboxes in setting for the diffrent methords of scanning content

1. file type if there are console specific can be added to the list (fastest)
  2. have function in the cores that checks identifiying infomation in the game (e.g psp games have prama.sfo)
  3. crc checking (currentley used)

Not sure if it has been mentioned before… I did have a quick look before posting here… How about incorporating Valve’s ToGL (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ToGL) codebase into Libretro to allow for on-the fly conversion of Direct3D cores / filter injectors like SweetFX or ENB to GL / GLSL??

I think he means potential d3d cores; that is, translate them to gl cores on the fly.

That’s exactly what I meant. Apologies for the confusion. I was just thinking that now libretro has a solid OpenGL foundation that the ToGL translation process could throw open the possibility for Direct3d games / emulators /filters to be ported much in the same way that Valve is doing anyway for SteamOS

Facing some issues with the way configs are handled, I’m not sure to understand why the 2 methods, “Per-Core configs” and “Config overrides” are needed.

Tell me if you see any limitation in this method:

-when you’re in a core and changing some settings, those particular settings get added in the core-x.cfg -when you close the core instance, this core-x.cfg is compared to the main retroarch.cfg, any similar setting is erased from core-x.cfg -at the start of a core instance, retroarch.cfg is read then core-x.cfg override it (just like conf overrides atm) -make it obvious when changing settings during a core instance that you’re going to change the behaviour for this core only (like “Nestopia Settings” in red in the title on top)

This should avoid settings propagating to several configs, newly added settings in a Retroarch revision causing havoc in each Per-core cfg, and make “Config overrides” easier to handle directly in the UI at the same time. Just one system.

to improve the portability of cores that have a jit insted cores have jit to il (2 modes pipeline or full) then retroarch has il to machinecode (2 modes pipeline or full) this will allow the conversion to machine code to not be core specific (if posible add option to generate gpu code) can support for tizen be added (https://www.tizen.org/ and https://www.samsungdforum.com/TizenDevtools/SdkDownload)

1 Like

Android: Please make cheats less god awful difficult to manage,maybe add features like arcade hi-score styled cheat adding where you line up numbers and letters to make the cheat and a mode select with every system template listed so it is properly restricted to that system’s cheat types.

If only it was more simplified like stand-alone emulators with a clean text prompt for quick typing and confirmation. Sorry,I just really hate missing one key sub-function like cheats because of the excessive difficulty in adding them in retroarch compared to emulators. If there could be a main Android UI cheat management in realtime while a game is running,that’d be nice and very helpful,but you guys seem to hate Android UI which irritates me. An example with good use of Android UI would be Mupen64Plus AE’s wonderful cheat editor with really simplistic controls.

I said “Android” which is very different sucks at some things when on a big screen without touch support.

I am stuck without a computer,and even if I had one which will consequentially have Windows 8 or Windows 10 on it,it would F**G always BSOD as a result if I try to run most any emulator on it because Microsoft fed it up!

Since my keyboard is also the controller in the main port,and maybe because it dislikes my typing that it doesn’t register when I try to type in a code. Has this been fixed in a later nightly build?

And the onscreen keyboard function is too limited on a TV since there is no normal touch and thus no multi-touch for pressing more than one key to place some required symbols,like if I want to use a really large N64 code with several button activators,it would be impossible because “+” requires you to hold shift and press “=” to have it. Also,one of the other onscreen keyboards make RetroArch crash for some dumb reason.

I can try to add a code again,but I doubt that it will let me.

My code “stanly” on SMB1 just worked on RetroArch via FCEUmm,it alters the music in a fun way while ironically being a persons name. I typed it with the big opaque keyboard,but I had to wait over 30 seconds before it would type anything and it took forever to display the keyboard initially.

There is a problem that somebody should actually please tend to,I can make it activate Shift to access capital and other extra keys,but the “+” key won’t register in the cheat text when hit. I also can’t type in capital letters (nitpick),but my “stanly” code worked anyway. Still can’t use multiple lines in one code for button activators because the lack of “+” key functioning. Also still can’t figure out how to name cheats (in my limitations) for the need of remembering what each one does.

Multilingual interface! Give users the ability to translate the shell into their native language, you can even create a page on the site for a joint translation.

Let all the language strings are stored in the .lang files. Something like that: \languages\English\shell.lang \languages\German\shell.lang Or that: \languages\en_shell.lang \languages\de_shell.lang

Well, in the future the possibility of translation updates from the shell.

We have translation implemented already! :slight_smile:

I think there are issues with no utf-8 support for things like Chinese characters…? but the basic support is there and we already have some translations in place.