Development Suggestions

In the Windows build and others that don’t use touchscreens, make the buttons for selecting and backing out of menu choices in the main RetroArch menu be independent from in-game button assignments. Using an Xbox 360 controller, if I assign the NES A button to A and NES B to X, that’ll change the buttons used to select things in RetroArch’s system menu. I also want to be able to set that to have A select and B cancel, without messing up the button assignments in other systems’ games.

Many cores have ‘core input remapping’ that lets you change that core’s specific mapping on the virtual retropad without affecting your overall physical-to-retropad mapping. You can also change the accept/cancel assignments without affecting your retropad mapping by editing your retroarch.cfg to swap the assignments between: menu_ok_btn = “” and menu_cancel_btn = “”

Request: make the setting onscreen display > display OSD message = OFF only hide in game OSD notifications (on save/load state, etc) but still display notifications in the menu, for example when the core updater starts and finishes a core download. When that setting is OFF there are currently no visual cues at all when a core download starts and finishes.

Request: to load .cgp the same way as .cg files. So, for example, if I’m at a shader slot and click to choose a shader, I could choose a cgp and Retroarch would load all shaders inside the cgp file and put on my slot and at the other empty slots. It would benefit the combination of standalone shaders with groups of shaders inside a cgp. In current RA implementation, to combine shaders with a cgp, I have to add manually each shader individually.

Just to add to this request, it would be helpful to to be able to insert a new shader in-between the hierarchy of an existing .cgp/stack

If I suddenly want to go in and try wedging a shader between an existing setup I have to manually edit the code and it’s annoying having to go in and rename shader3 to shader4 and so forth.

Forced refresh, so I can get that 60hz flicker for shaders in those mupen and reicast cores that only refresh as fast as they flip

https://twitter.com/FightCade

Fightcade is a really exciting project to be able to play games online against random people in a lobby. However you are forced to play on their emulators to enter their servers atm, I would rather play on retroarchs cores, would be nice if someone could integrate account sync or something to be able to play online in fightcade lobbies with RetroArch cores so you only use their client as a lobby.

Both their server and client are os:

server: https://github.com/poliva/ggposrv client: https://github.com/poliva/pyqtggpo

Would love to see the Slow Motion feature have a toggle option. I’m using a hotkey enable button, so having to hold two buttons for slow motion isn’t feasible for most games.

A small feature request: add page up / page down keys to scroll in lists. It would be nice where you can’t do left/righ tlike in xmb vertical playlists.

Also, what is the keyboard key to reset to a default value now that “enter” is “accept”? (only “start” on gamepad now?)

Would it be possible to add .PBP support to Mednafen PSX?

I was messing around with changing the menu wallpaper in the Windows version of RA Last night and found it a bit cumbersome to have to navigate to the folder each time to choose a png file and then apply it see what it looked like. Would it be possible to set a directory path for menu wallpapers and then simply cycle through png files from the menu and have the background change on the fly?

Hey guys.

First I would like to give a big thank you to the developers! I’m a big fan of your work! (Greets from Brazil! :slight_smile: )

Sorry if I’m being repetitive, but I’m here to beg you a thing: work on the RetroAchievements feature to work fully OK. Some games is working 100%, but others fail to detect some achievements.

I researched here and on the RetroAchievements.org forums and I know, this feature in RetroArch is a WiP. But I think it’s a huge attractive feature to make RetroArch more and more popular.

RetroAchievements is a really cool thing and makes us wanna play more and more (it also made me stop using savestate and go back to the roots, using the hardcore mode :slight_smile: ), but unfortunately the oficial emulators only works on Windows… After I met this feature on RetroArch, I made a lot of friends install RetroArch on their android phones/linux PCs/raspberrypi and all of them is enjoying this feature. But the bugs on some games are a bit frustrating.

To finish I would like to ask a question: the RetroAchievements feature is a thing to work on the RetroArch or on the cores? (or both?)

I’m asking this because if I need to beg to the core developers on some other forums, I will. :wink:

Thanks again! meleu

P.S.: Sorry my bad english.

It’s a core thing but it’s doubtful that anyone outside of the libretro organization is going to want to work on it.

Is there some other forum here on libretro.com that I should make this supplication?

On my Android RetroArch I’m using fceumm, picodrive and snes9x to earn some achievements. And on the raspberry pi (using recalbox) the core that support achievements for NES games is the QuickNES. So, my intention is that this message reach these core developers.

Upstream development is dead on all of those, so this would be the place to request it.

hunterk, and if the RetroAchievements developers code their official emulators using the libretro API? Do you think it’s feasible?

Actually I’m just trying to guess what will take less effort and “wheel reinvention”: libretro/RetroArch guys code for RetroAchievements full compatibility, or RetroAchievements guys code using libretro API.

Here’s a suggestion:

Create full multitap support for all cores that have multitap capabilities. As of right now:

-Mednafen PSX supports only 4 players (PS1 console supports 8 players)
 -Yabause supports 8 players (Saturn console supports 12 players)

You guys have done a wonderful job with Snes 9x Next, because it has full multitap support and I believe Geneis Plus GX does as well. I’m not sure about 4DO because nothing is mentioned on the wiki about how many controllers the core supports (3DO console supports up to 8 players).

I know it’s probably not a top priority, but can you add support for all of these consoles at some point? It’d be awesome because I have a lot of video game parties.

I messaged Mednafen on their site and asked if they support 8 players on their emulator, but haven’t gotten a response.

Let me know if anything can be done to make this a reality. Thanks!

First of all RA is great!!! I’m using it on windows and I really like it. Tomorrow I will experiment with boxart.

This are my suggestions (I didn’t read if annyone has post this. If they did, sorry):

Add the possibility to see more stuff about the games. Boxart is cool, but it will be much better if we can see screenshots of the games too. I read about you’re developing a way to watch videos. It would be really nice to have video previews of the games. Add something like VINES. Pressing keys before remap buttons I reach a key that it seems to record videos while in game. It would be great to have the ability to record small videos (10 sec to 1 min) so we can watch or own preview of the game before jump into it. (not all of us have money to spend on emumovies) Something I dream about a frontend that would be great to have within RA is the possibility to watch while in game something like RA shaders, but with movements so we can watch specials moves of the game. In MK or the KOF series this would be really interesting to have because if you didn’t play the game for years you forget the special moves and is really annoying to switch with Crt + TAB in windows to acces some site with the moves and then push again Crt + TAB to be back in the game. If RA could open and see text formats and PDF you can add the possibility to have manuals of each game. Other thing that would be nice is to have playlist that shows all of the games and not only the ones that have database on them. I’m from Argentina, I understand english but my pals and girlfriend don’t, so I have some patched roms to spanish language but playlist (scan folder) doesn’t show em. So, please add a feature to include games in playlist even thoug we have to configure the database manually. And finally it would be cool if you add some feature to read some web pages saves in our pc. Example. I found cheats to “Rock n Roll Racing” navigatig with firefox, I save the complete web page as HTML on my computer. I move the files to the “game attached folder” and when I open RA and select the game… WAHLA!!! I have the option to open that webpage and look at the cheats from the quick menu.

That were my principal suggestions. Other suggestion could be: Have a feature to play music while in RA but stop it when we play videos or while we’re in game. Have a feature to acces game database online so we can download info of the game at one click (like they do in Launchbox) Have a feature to acces the internet to search images of the game when they’re not in game databases. Have a search for game feature. Have a TAG SYSTEM feature for the games and the possibility to order games in series or genre (based on the tags)

So that is what I want to suggest. I love RA, I love shaders and borders that are the coolest features ever!!! I know i wrote too much, but I know RA could be the ultimate multi arcade system console emulator and have all the features to enjoy game experience at the best.

Thanks for RA and keep up with the good work!!!

[QUOTE=Beatlemaniac19;36931]Here’s a suggestion:

Create full multitap support for all cores that have multitap capabilities. As of right now:

-Mednafen PSX supports only 4 players (PS1 console supports 8 players)
 -Yabause supports 8 players (Saturn console supports 12 players)

You guys have done a wonderful job with Snes 9x Next, because it has full multitap support and I believe Geneis Plus GX does as well. I’m not sure about 4DO because nothing is mentioned on the wiki about how many controllers the core supports (3DO console supports up to 8 players).

I know it’s probably not a top priority, but can you add support for all of these consoles at some point? It’d be awesome because I have a lot of video game parties.

I messaged Mednafen on their site and asked if they support 8 players on their emulator, but haven’t gotten a response.

Let me know if anything can be done to make this a reality. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Are you sure Mednafen doesn’t support more than 4 players? Have you enabled multi-tap for both control ports in the core options? You may have to restart content to get it to detect properly in game, but I’m sure I tested this and it worked, though that was about 2 years ago and I haven’t had reason to retest it. This was on linux BTW.

As for Yabuse, I tried to add support for the full 12 controllers shortly after retroarch expanded the number of controllers it supported, but I couldn’t get it to work right and haven’t had time to take a look at it again.

Stretch.

Stretch needs to be added instead of having to manually configure aspect ratios.