Development Suggestions

Second Screen Option

Integrate weylus for second screen or extended screen. This would be cool for retro consoles who have a second screen. GBA/NGC, NintendoDS, Dreamcast, Nintendo3DS, Wii/DS, WiiU, etc

Mirroring on the tablet or phone to get a close experience to the original console.

Maybe the second screen can also be used to navigate through the retroarch menu while playing the game. e.g to apply shaders, to change input, to change core settings etc

Looks cool. AFAICT it just mirrors the screen, though, so it shouldnā€™t need any integration, just run it and go.

Yes sure it is working as mirrored display. It can also work as second display but therefore it need some integration. it would be cool to have that integrated within retroarch. like out-of-the-box-use.

Moreover it is a good starting point because of the flexibility of the code. Win, Mac and Linux support. Plus Brower Support on mobile devices.

Some CD-based systems have the option to pre-load the entire game into the RAM, it takes some time and a friend of mine even thought the whole thing had frozen since some games take time to load up, a minute, maybe less, maybe 10 seconds, maybe more, we only get a static screen from the menu itself or the frontend if launched from outside, is it possible to add a progress screen like the Duckstation does? Even something like this for loading shaders would be a welcomed addition too.

Dolphin compiling shaders

Wait, both bars are identical, I just noticed that!

The status of the game will be made available via REST to make it possible to develop company applications to facilitate some games or make the game publicly available.

I tried to see how I would do it but I couldnā€™t see a way to integrate with the tools already available today. Iā€™m new to this part of interacting with ROMS.

Iā€™m sorry, I donā€™t understand the question. What are you wanting to do, exactly?

I was thinking about an app for the MHFU that helps in choosing the next weapon/armor with the materials released. But with the game status available it is possible to do much more with it.

1 Like

Not having to define what you already have manually, but integrated.

I think any core that supports achievements should expose the memory in such a way that you could do something like that.

Does your HDD LED flash when the Shaders or CDs are loading?

Can we get a universal ā€˜rotate d-pad 90Ā° left/rightā€™ toggle? This would mean I could play a vertical shmup sideways and up now becomes left, right becomes up, etc. Useful for large screens that you canā€™t rotate and to avoid having to use only a 1/3 of the screen (center).

You mean, the precaching for CD systems? Yes, it does normally, shaders not so much as it takes time for the VRAM to load it, different from a big CD file from the HD/SSD, both would be nice to have those loading progress bars, though, as the frontend just sit still, some games that are almost 1GB really takes time to load.

I woud like to request a new feature. Probably something that will only be useful to me and a handful of people I suppose butā€¦

My games are stored on a local server. However for disk-based systems like the Playstation I have to copy each game on my PC (for performance issues, disk-reads during emulation are sometimes slow if I load the game from the server). What Iā€™d like to do is having the games from the server referenced in my game library (those are the ones I use ā€œImport Contentā€ with) and each time I try to load such a game RetroArch would check if itā€™s present locally. If itā€™s not, download it and run it from there. Kinda like Steam or GOG: your library is visible but you need to download & install a game before playing it.

Some cores, such as beetle-psx, support pre-caching the game to memory at launch. I think this is your best bet. You can find it in the core options.

1 Like

Yes it works great with Beetle, but I canā€™t find an equivalent option in PCSX2 unfortunately. Besides the bigger the medium the more troublesome it becomes to keep it in memory. (That and having to load it from the network everytime since itā€™s not cached on disk between sessions).

Edit: Or maybe I could find a way to make a plugin/script to do that, is this supported?

Would it be possible to include microphone support in RetroArch? Then it could be exposed to cores (Nintendo DS cores specifically). Most of those cores use a binding to generate noise but there are a few fringe games that actually require speaking words. Brain Age for example requires the player to say ā€œRedā€ or ā€œBlueā€ etc.

I would love a thumbnail view instead of a list view for playlists using ozone. Like the desktop menu does. Forgive me if this is already possible, but I did not found how to do it.

How about a ā€œPick Random Game/Coreā€ Button in the Main Menu.

Basically, for people who canā€™t decide what they want to play, and just want to ā€œroll the diceā€.

If thatā€™s even possible that is.

3 Likes

How would you feel about an option to build separate playlists per region when importing games in your library? Something like ā€œNintendo - GameBoy (Japan)ā€ and ā€œNintendo - GameBoy (USA)ā€ etc. The motivation behind this is twofold.

a) Boxarts are usually very different between regions, especially between Japan and the rest of the world. Itā€™s not just art, itā€™s a whole different packaging format. GameBoy games in the west were released in square boxes, but in Japan they are thinner. When all those games are in the same playlist it just doesnā€™t look that great jumping from one format to the other. I know itā€™s minor butā€¦ Iā€™m a perfectionnist haha.

b) More importantly, language differences are a pain to handle. As someone who can actually read Japanese I have a strong aversion to romanization. I want my Japanese games in Japanese, just like the Emperor intended. :grin: Seriously though, Japanese names and Latin names donā€™t work well together with lexicographical orderingā€¦

Of course this raises a few questions. Like what to do with (USA, Europe) games for instance. Perhaps a priority list, perhaps allow having them in both playlists etc.

Speaking of sorting, Iā€™d love to see a proper support of Unicode sorting. ā€œPokĆ©monā€ shouldnā€™t be sorted after ā€œPokettoā€. Would also be great to have some sort of control over the ordering likeā€¦ hm I wish ā€œTurok: Dinosaur Hunterā€ would come before ā€œTurok 2ā€ and not after. It would require stripping special characters before sorting and using the numbersā€™ natural ordering. Not a simple task I know, just a thought.

1 Like

A focus on stability and compatibility with hardware. In the past there was issues with some 4K TVā€™s from Samsung