Development Suggestions

thanks for this.

currently aviable : A+B C+D A+B+C B+C+D

but some game required : A+C B+C B+D

Please add it. (or user can make any combination freely)

thanksss

1 Like

While loading content (not from a playlist) not having snap/boxarts file’s names could use some more space making easier to look for specific files.

Are there any options that I missed or some workaround?

In the History tab file names do have more space

I tried on a fresh install checked every settings and reduced menu scaling factor but same result: a lot of real estate unused. :frowning:

Retroarch have available good features , but unhappily few or nothing is done in input keys. Is as if the priority is about avoid input delay or video filter effects.

The controller autoconfig is very good , but …

Retroarch not allow multiple assign for same console controller button. MAME , Bizhawk and much others current emulators allow multiple assign … In emulation is much important that feature …

If using an PS3-4 controller have 2 empty buttons if playing Genesis or SNES. Is possible use the 2 empty buttons how being hotkeys … Genesis an assign console button A for the default controller button and for the L2 button too. After does the same with console buttons B and C for L2 button.

Have games need press 3 or more buttons at same time and with that feature is more simple.

The problem is more worst if the user play using pc keyboard being impossible play any game need press 3 buttons at same time. Genesis have games need press 3 buttons for game code or even playing (SF2 playing with Zangief or the boxer). Using an keyboard is impossible to do it.

Not any priority is being done in inputs. That feaure is an default for emulators.

One thing I’ve always wanted in RetroArch is the ability to map “Integer Scaling = Yes/No” to a hotkey.

I feel like I’m constantly switching it back and forth for various reason, and it would be sooooo great to just be able to assign it to a keyboard press or something.

Over the past few years I have seen various forums posts, mentions in the discord and irc channels, and elsewhere about how on a lot of systems trying to keep the order of controllers, especially when they are disconnected an reconnected at varying times, and thus changing what controllers the systems sees as being first, second, etc.

I believe that something like a new, configuration option, that if defined, could suggest to RA a controller priority.

It could be called something like input_prefered_device_order, which could be assigned a list of device identifiers that could push those controllers, when they are connected, to the top of the device order, in the order specified.

An example:

input_prefered_device_order = "11720:20486;0x054c;@xbox" 

The above would prioritize in the following way.

If present, 11720:20486 (8BitDo M30 BT via USB) would always be device index 0.

Next comes 0x054c, a PS4 DS4 controller matched by just vendor id. If the M30 is also present, the DS4 would be seen to RA as device index 1, otherwise 0.

After that, any controller whose name contains (perhaps case insensitively, for simplicity) “xbox”. Like with the DS4, it gets the first available device index after the first two, if any are present, otherwise, 0.

After the matches have been processed, any other controllers that did not have a match in the list would be assigned a device index in the regular manner.

If more than one entry can match during the controller detection phase, I would go by the first that does, wins.

In my scenario above, values are separated by semicolons, and each item can be a vendor id with an optional device id (separated by something like a colon), or alternatively, when prefixed with something like an @ symbol, a match against the device name string as returned by the system.

I feel a scheme like this could help solve the controller order issue that many people seem to have had to contend with.

All feedback is very welcome.

4 Likes

In reply to a Reddit comment about my suggestion above, I came up with the following:

Thinking about it a good while, I believe that I would go with first result, though I would add a simple prefix modifier that could optionally be used to signify the desire for how to deal with multiple controllers matching a list item:

These prefix modifiers, which can be mixed (see xbox in third example below), could be a follows:

+ = Match one-or-more device; if omitted, match just one device.

- = Least priority; always push to end of device list; last “-” entry will be last device_index.

@ = Match string instead of vid or vid:did (as already shown with xbox in my examples.)

So these lines would then mean:

# Prioritize one M30, then one DS4, then one xbox

input_prefered_device_order = "11720:20486;0x054c;11270:20486;@xbox"

# Prioritize any M30s first, then any DS4s, then one xbox

input_prefered_device_order = "+11720:20486;+0x054c;@xbox"

# Prioritize one M30, then one DS4, then another M30, then any xbox

input_prefered_device_order = "11720:20486;0x054c;11270:20486;+@xbox"

If an user try play using only an keyboard some games unplayable … Today I had tried play and enter an game code … the code need press simultaneously 3 buttons + Start + digital pad down+left … have others game in gameplay need press 3 buttons at same time not being possible in keyboard … Retroarch not allow bind multiple keyboard keys or game controller buttons to the same console controller buttons doing an button combo … MAME , Bizhawk , Raine and others have that feature … unhappily not any priority from Retroarch coders to add that default emulator feature …

Sure, the lack of macros is a bummer, but your inability to press >=3 keys is a limitation of your keyboard known as “ghosting”. If you use a keyboard with n-key (or just >3-key) rollover, you will not have this issue.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for reply.

“inability to press >=3 keys is a limitation of your keyboard known as “ghosting”

Correct.

Please see the image screenshot.

MAME allow bind multiple keys to same button. In image the 6 buttons are assigned to an button and to another same button too. Thus is done an macro button. button 1 , 2 and 3 have an macro in keyboard key T. Pressing key T does an combo in 1-2-3 buttons. That is an good feature mainly when need to an game code or even in gameplay example fighting games ( zangief special punch and m.bison boxer turn punch). Help in consoles having only 2 buttons (NES , PCE , GB , GBC and Gameboy Advance) too. NES Double Dragon 1-2-3, PCE Double Dragon 2 and others games need press 2 buttons for jump and after another time one button for attack. An macro button pressing only an button for jump is very good. MAME , Bizhawk , Raine and others emulators have that feature since several previous versions.

About input another problem is the autofire not is available for all cores. If the core dev not allow autofire not is possible assign an Retroarch autofire being an feature available in others emulators.

Other detail is Retroarch only allow png images. JPG save much disk space mainly for users using USB drivers. I have done an test converting all png images (originating from Retroarch image download server) for jpg and have saved more than 60 % disk space. From 6 GB png to 1 GB jpg total disk space.

Only the 3 details above are missing in Retroarch being an default for emulators. I not have any programming coding skill for add the features above , but I understand that are simple to add in Retroarch code. That will help extremely all users. Retroarch have internally an autofire code, but if for autofire work need code in core is better remove that behavior thus the autofire is controlled only by Retroarch input code.

New version fixed the issue! thanks to the team for keep improving RA! :star_struck:

2 Likes

How about a repair.exe tool/file in the Stable Download-Version?

So you don’t have to download RetroArch again if it won’t start anymore!

Instead you can repair RetroArch and keep most of your settings and most important your game safe states and hard work! :slight_smile:

Would be nice to have the handling of options files ( .opt ) with an option similar to Simple Preset that we have in shaders saving.

Now when we save an option file for a game it will save all the parameters but, let’s say, we have a Core Options file saved the new game.opt would contain just the parameters that differ from the core.opt.

In this way making some changes to the “general” core options file will “transfer” to the game that have a specific opt file other than the parameters set in the “simple preset”.

I think hierarchy can still function keeping core -> directory -> game

What do you think?

1 Like

Automatically adjust aspect ratio mid-game… is it possible?

What I’d like to see is an option like the one in the MegeBezel shader implemented as a video option. If the resolution changes mid-game, it’s automatically detected and the the aspect ratio is adjusted accordingly.

Could this be done?

2 Likes

Is there a roadmap for the interface side of Retroarch? Currently users need to manually create playlists if they want to list games by year or by genre. I’d love to have dynamic listings where I could show, for example, “all games developed by Konami from June 1990 to June 1992, sorted alphabetically” or “all PC Engine, Mega Drive, and SNES games released in 1992, sorted by release date”.

no roadmap, no. People work on what they want to see.

You should be able to do most of that through the “explore” menu, I think…?

Thanks! I can’t believe I missed that. It’s not quite as granular as I would like, but does about 90% of what I need.

1 Like

Talking about the explore menu, would be nice to be able to list results matching playlist entries and not just database, when searching by name. At the moment not all games from a set are present so some roms are not showing up.

1 Like

A shortcut who allow the player to swap between 2 controllers would be nice. I have 2 controls, a Xbox 360 and a Logitech F710 as a secondary. Sometimes I want to use the F710 as Player 1, but its a pain to swap quickly.

The Snes9x have this option by pressing 6. Would be nice to see this option working in the whole system.

2 Likes

@McCloud yes, I second this, I have a similar situation but with a F310 (controller) and a Hori RAP V (arcade stick), and having an hotkey solution to swap ports would be great to avoid doing:

Open Menu -> Settings -> Input -> Port 1 -> change device -> Go back -> Port 2 -> change device -> back to the game

1 Like