Development Suggestions

How hard would it be to add an additional option to return to Lakka main menu? Like start + select or L + start + select?

Playing fighting games on snes style controller is problematic at best with the current L + R + Down + Y option.

It would be really great if the image viewer could support animated gifs. Canā€™t find any program that does it right.

Heh, yeah, Iā€™ve thought the same thing. Unfortunately, the stb-image backend that itā€™s based on doesnā€™t support them :frowning:

Forgot to add that the aim is upscaling with shaders.

It seems so obvious that retroarch is awesome for that I forgot to write it. :slight_smile:

Well, a workaround would be to convert your gifs to mp4 and watch them with ffmpeg (if that works for you).

Batch convert script for ffmpeg:

for %%a in ("*.gif") do ffmpeg -f gif -i "%%a" -preset slow -crf 0 "%%~na.mp4"

It seems stb can do animated gifs with some additions.

If anyone feels like digging into that:

or here (search for ā€œanimatedā€):

I tried to make it work.

I used the external image_viewer core, replaced stb_image.h content with this updated one and compiled it.

That works, I can launch and see a GIF that wasnā€™t working with the internal image viewer. But itā€™s not animated.

Thatā€™s where this code is certainly needed but I canā€™t figure out where/how to call that stbi_xload function. (Iā€™m no coderā€¦)

Ah, too bad. However, if an updated stb_image.h makes more stuff load, you should submit a PR for it! :slight_smile:

Either a way to add the rom title to saved screenshot names or a full blown screenshot name-assignment method field that the user can enter themselves (Ex: ā€œ[ROMNAME]-[SYSTEM]-[TIMEHHMMSS]ā€). Iā€™d really like to automate uploading the screenshots to Twitter but right now thereā€™s no way to determine what game the screenshots come from.

Iā€™d love to see some sort of MAME DAT file that displays the correct game names as opposed to the ROM name, this would make finding games so much easier in a full set.

Visit us here if you like: MAME 2003 Playlist and Generators

More granularity in which messages we display in the OSD. I donā€™t really need the initialization strings for my controllers but I would like to see if I got an achievement or if Iā€™ve accidentally ejected the disk.

I actually wanted something like that to hide all startup messages. The override loaded message always shows with my setup and annoys me, so I disable the OSD font entirely. But then I donā€™t get any visual feedback for using savestates or disc switching. It would be kind of a frivolous option though.

I was imagining a submenu under OSD where you could turn the messages off by groups (not message IDs as that would certainly be quite a list). Something like

Settings > OSD > Message Display Options Controller State Messages (On / Off) Save State Messages (On/Off) Disk Messages (On/Off) Core Messages (On/Off) Achievements (On/Off) etc.

That was written with zero understanding of how messages are actually handled in RA and Iā€™m sure to get anywhere with this someone would need to go through every RA display string and categorize it so Iā€™m sure itā€™s a ton of work but at least from an interface perspective I think it would be pretty easy to handle for users. Itā€™ll take me a while to complete but Iā€™d be willing to go through and create categories/categorize the strings if someone is interested in implementing this. Just point me to the file where RA strings are kept in the repository.

It would be great to have an alternate fast forward method that wouldnā€™t be vsync related (I guess frameskip). You could use it when the cores are too cpu/gpu intensive (like bsnes) or with gsync screens.

Now, after the latest updates, it is not possible to have per core hotkeys. Please add option to save them for each core and game!

I mentioned this in the past , but I would like to think about implementing some "cores " that include the option of " frameskip " . FBA , Nes , SNES , GBA and gb. I know you do not like but ā€¦ I see new emulators added to your repository. maybe it focused to extreme cases . would include Mgba - Extreme for example, to know that you can configure that option

hopefully not see it as an imposition , it is that still think the same way . It is different than retroarch have the option to " frameskip " to have the option emulators .

[QUOTE=Radius;44783]Whatā€™s the usecase for this? There are overrides already that you can do per core or per game. If you use different gamepads you can add the hotkeys to the autoconf profile.[/QUOTE] Thanks for the reply. I said my problem in a wrong way. I think that you mean loading per core config manually? I know that it is possible to have the hot keys per core with doing so. But originally I was trying to say that we need new options in the ā€œinput hotkey bindsā€ to save the hotkeys for each core and game. Exactly the same thing as there is in the shader menu! The main thing I want this for is because I donā€™t want to load manually the core config every time i switch core. I like automation! (Iā€™m on the latest nightly without the pet core config thing). Please tell me if I am missing something. And sorry for my terrible english!

I know this is asking for a ton so let me categorize this as ā€œwouldnā€™t it be nice,ā€ but now that Libretro is getting cores for more modern systems (psx, saturn, psp, and maybe one day gc/wii) it would be super cool to implement something like the method mentioned in this PPSSPP thread to bring JIT back to iOS 9+.

Also, speaking of pie-in-the-sky requests, given that there are a few people interested in dropbox support, and given that you guys have mentioned that you arenā€™t interested in implementing dropbox support natively in RA, it might be interesting to create a saving ā€œpluginā€ API in RA similar to the existing audio and video plugins APIs. That way other developers could implement plugins for things like Dropbox, Box, Google docs etc without having to mess with the internals of RA and users could choose their preferred option without having to pester you guys to implement it.