Development Suggestions

I’d like to suggest a builtin txt viewer, to quickly check walkthroughs/faqs while the cores are running without switching process. The viewer should be opened with a single hotkey, which will also pause the current running core. A bookmark to the last position in the txt should be kept to resume from the last position.

Suggestion to develop a UWP app. Specially now that xbox one supports UWP. Let’s get retroarch to xbox one guys!

It’s also extremely unlikely that MS will be friendly to emulators on XBone.

yo creo que deberíamos dejarlos en paz, finalmente quienes deciden o no son ustedes especialmente “Themaister”. Hay demasiadas alternativas a retroarch como saturar a esta gente. Ellos tienen su camino, saben hacia donde van y para quienes programan.

Justamente, ustedes dedican su tiempo libre, tienen sus cuestiones personales y hacen esto aparentemente por que les gusta. Yo particularmente ya no les pediré nada. He leido demasiadas publicaciones del creador de este software especialemente por esa actitud de quienes lo usan. Por frameskip, que por wii, que por el xperia play, etc. Mejor se deposita la confianza en que sigan vanzando hacia donde les parece. Se agradece siempre el esfuerzo, pero es mucha presión a los desarrolladores y espectativas demasiado altas de los usuarios. por cierto, te hablo en español por que se que lo hablas y es mi lengua nativa.

I don’t think there is any way I can get access to my other disk drives within retroarch (win64) when I configure my File Browser Dir as E:/Roms. Going to parent directory twice goes into retroarch folder instead of drives choice.

Can this be changed? or allow for shortcuts I could make into my rom folder pointing to other locations?

I think symlinks work…?

Thanks that works! Never used those before…

Frame skipping options in the mednafen psx and (and maybe Saturn in the future?). Mobile devices have just enough power to run Mednafen at around full speed, but not enough to fast forward. It would be nice to be able to fast forward through long summons and those interminable pauses before the save menu.

It would be great to have some minimal navigation options for ffmpeg.

I like how you can do it with mpc-hc on windows: page up / page down allows you to play the previous/next supported file in the current folder. This could be the default playing mode (read next file in the folder at current file end, good for DVD or any multiple parts video) with previous/next keys on L2/R2.

A core option for repeat mode: single file (allows to loop small animations, and you can go from one another with the nav keys) / full list / OFF.

A speed key could be great too (speed steps with right analog stick?).

Having a manual viewer and being able to attach manuals to games ala box images would be great.

Two small UI suggestions for XMB.

1 Add option to hide the “remove” action from the playlist game submenu. Leave only “run” and “information”. It is too easy to by mistake remove a game, especially since there is no “are you sure?” step.

2 When closing a game from the menu RetroArch returns the user to the closed game’s submenu with the row “information” selected. Change that to instead show the playlist with the closed game selected. Because after choosing “close” (and not “restart”) the user probably wants to play something else, not look up information on the closed game.

Suggestion to develop a UWP app. Specially now that xbox one supports UWP. Let’s get retroarch to xbox one guys!

A while back, you guys said you were thinking of implementing a program for fully customisable overlay touch controls, similar to what mame4droid has. Is this still on the list or…?

No, it never got prioritized and probably never will, tbh. There’s no reason someone else couldn’t produce such a thing, though.

Got it. Thanks and cheers!

I noticed that savestates can take take some space, especially savestates for psx or snes and sega ,regular saves can take quite some space as well, for some reason mupen’s 64 regular save take 69MB but when compressed with 7z only 26kb. I guess with savestates which need to be very fast or core unpacking every time, bellow solution might be tricky to implement but, would it be possible for retroarch to compress saves and savestates on the fly?

Settings to enable compression for particular cores for regular saves or only savestates (since regular saves dont take that much place in most cases). Maybe even compression of other elements that are not used frequently like assets that are not currently selected like shaders bioses, individual cores (in case of those they could be unpacked only when needed and then deleted). Each asset would be compressed individually to make decompression/compression faster.

I imagine this feature wont make priorities list any time soon but something that could be considered at some point in the future.

I did not know there’s thread for this, so I am reposting.

First of all I’m loving this project. I’m making some custom overlays gamepads, so I can play better on my iPhone, and will share with the forum soon, but my objetive here is another.

I ever loved playing emulators, SNES and GBA are my favorites, but losting the save… oh man, it’s very frustating.

I loved the fact that I can play the same save in my Mac that I saved on my iPhone. Currectly I’m syncing them using the icloud, but wanted to use DropBox, unfortunately there’s no way for iPhone… (I can do with icloud because there’s a folder in iphone (/var/mobile/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs to be more especific) that allow me to save and auto sync with icloud) . I wanted to use Dropbox so I can play in every device my saves! I mean, I can simply play on the bus, using iPhone or 3DS, get home and continue playing on my… humm… ps3, or even my wii u! I wanted them synchronyzed! More of it, I have the safety that I will not lost my saves, that for me, is a lot important. Well, maybe retroarch could have an automatic backup of saves too, but this is another idea.

There’s any plan to make this happen on retroarch?? I could contribute with this, but I am very ‘beggining’ with programmation and I am afraid I can’t do it… (maybe with help I can colaborate…) So, this is my idea.

I hope someone that is hard contributing to the app read this.

Thanks!

-move “Remove” from playlist/history to somewhere else, like a different menu for “management” related stuffs - it has been so many times that Remove is accidentally clicked - who thought that this was the best location next to the Run button? -allow to modify or run using different core games from playlist - it does not makes sense that you are stuck using the last core you used for that game considering that some system have different cores to choose from. -allow to manually download thumbnails for each game - there is no sense to update entire thumbnails (mame alone is about 6gigs) when you do not have or do not play ALL system and games current retroarch database supports. -allow only to download newer version(and i mean newer version/builds, not a new compiled builbot item but the core is 2 years old) from stuffs in Online updater - again there is no checking here, you can accidentally click the same core for example over and over. -considering retroarch is all-in-one kind of thing, the UI lacks so much as standalones do. game databasing is massively lacking, there is even no roms count-total or per system or hour played. probably the ability to sort list by publisher/developer?(who want to play stuffs released by LJN anyways) -search option for playlist should be optimized-match keyword properly. example you search for Zelda, you will get Zelda II - A Link to the past but not Legend of Zelda. search Contra and you will not see Super Contra or Super C, search for Mario and you will get the classic Mario like the arcade thing but not Super Mario - isnt this suppose to be the basic search behaviour-give result by keyword? -allow support for wav/ogg and other compressed audio format for cdimages - for playback purposes, its better to use compressed audio to save space. -allow to manually add items to playlist, like add hacked or translated roms - again this is for database purposes-incase implemented like rom count, played count etc.

i want to keep using retroarch for convenience but the things above make me use UI from others frontends instead or just use the standalone since some core options are removed(like manually assign turbo key to buttons for PCE/Supergrafx since only a games uses 6buttons)

(more later…)

Make saves actually save when they are natively supposed to,if the game freezes,core freezes,or RetroArch crashes after a long session of progress,the save file never got updated and everything has been lost from that one crash.

It should be simple to keep tabs on when a game was supposed to save by emulating the internal function for it,and many stand-alone emulators do this all the time. I would say we should expect nothing less than that saving quality to the point a speedrunner’s reset trick doesn’t end up losing save file progress.

It really sucks when you would play a frustratingly hard part of a game dozens of times,beat that part and save at a save point,then it crashes a few moments later,and guess what you have to do AGAIN because it didn’t update the save file accordingly. This is just an example of how horrible this problem can be for anyone unfortunate enough to run into it.

Thanks for reading.