Did you know that's possible to use custom palette with Gambatte for GB games?

I was reading on google and I found a interesting post at github:

" in earlier gambatte-libretro builds (some time around RetroArch 0.9.7 I think) if there existed a custom palette /palettes/default.pal it would get loaded and used. Not so anymore, maybe since the gbc bios palettes were built into the core. Only .pal-files that are named after their game are still used, for example “SUPERMARIOLAND3.pal”. @fr500fr500 12 months ago I think this is the intended behavior. This might be desirable for some users so I’ll try adding this as a core option @askotxaskotx 6 months ago I submit a patch for making this work again on Jul 17, I’ve tested it on Wii and works fine, a new option it’s displayed on GB colorization, you can use disabled, enabled or custom: Disabled: Just a grey palette is used Enabled: A predefined internal palette is used. Custom: You can use a INTERNALROMNAME.pal, “rom name.pal” or default.pal in :/system/palettes/ “”

So I downloaded a .pal color palette set of 44 different custom color palette .pal . In your system directory of retroarch , just create a " palettes " directory. In this directory put a color palette ( a .pal file) of your choice with the exact name of a GB ROM name in this directory. After that start retroarch. Load gambatte core. Load your GB ROM. Go to the gui menu. Go to core option. In GB colorization choose " Custom " Now you can play your gameboy game with your own color palette.

I downloaded my palette there:http://eadmaster.altervista.org/pub/index.php

Scroll down and for download the color palette set click there: goomba2gambatte palette converter in python

I hope I helped some people :slight_smile:

I read a lot on the web to understand all that. I asked a few weeks ago on the forum if it was possible to use custom color palette with gambatte… And people here answered me it was not possible . My prefer palette is GB Blue.pal Works great with Super Mario Land 1 and 2. Default colors (GB colorization enabled) sucks with Super marioland and i dont play grey color lol ! For example: Just rename it to Super Marioland.pal and put them in system/palette. Check your paths in retroarch , your system directory can be anything you want. But dont forget to create a palettes directory to put your .pal files there.

Have a great day. Just answer me thanks in this topic if you get it working. Or tell me if you can’t get it to work here.

You can use the GUI in stand alone Gambatte to create your own. After you load a ROM in it, it’s under Settings, DMG Palette, Current ROM. They are saved in AppData\Roaming\gambatte. You can copy the palette folder from there into your RetroArch System folder. I used to make them for games that didn’t have a good internal palette already. Now I usually use the DMG shader with the Game Boy Pocket preset instead of colorization.

I tested a default.pal palette and its work with any games without its own palette. GREAT!

Thanks a lot for that !! Its really appreciated !!

Standalone Gambatte only featured per-game custom palettes in the Qt GUI version. So i had to re-write a quick’n’dirty parser for the libretro port trying to keep compatibility with the GUI-generated palette files. I’ve added myself the “default.pal” thing because i wanted to use the SGB default palette in all the games not having a custom one.

Recently the core colorization option has been reworked a bit, and looking at code it seems no more possible to have some custom palettes and fallback to the builtin GBC BIOS ones with some other games… personally i prefer the way it worked before, what do you think?

[QUOTE=eadmaster;21695]Standalone Gambatte only featured per-game custom palettes in the Qt GUI version. So i had to re-write a quick’n’dirty parser for the libretro port trying to keep compatibility with the GUI-generated palette files. I’ve added myself the “default.pal” thing because i wanted to use the SGB default palette in all the games not having a custom one.

Recently the core colorization option has been reworked a bit, and looking at code it seems no more possible to have some custom palettes and fallback to the builtin GBC BIOS ones with some other games… personally i prefer the way it worked before, what do you think?[/QUOTE]

I prefer custom palettes over anything else. I didnt use much of the GBC BIOS palette with emulators. The best for me , will be a list with several custom palettes to choose ( like gba.emu and masterboy) that is saved for each ROM seperately… But its my own opinion and im not good for programming. I checked a look at the recent code and yours but i dont understand much. LoL the best i did was editing a few buttons in a few emus. But i dont code anymore :wink:

But i love your default.pal… its really useful for others games !! :wink: