Difference between .cfg and .dll.cfg?

I use Configuration Per-Core.

I Load Core then Save As New. This creates mupen64plus_libretro.cfg, for example.

I set up Driver, Video, Audio Settings and Load Content, game launches.

If I make any changes while the game is running through Quick Menu or if I launch from a Playlist it creates mupen64plus_libretro.dll.cfg.

Now there are 2 configs, one that only affects the GUI Menu Screen and one that affects the actual Game?

What is the correct way to be doing this?

I’m interested in an answer as well. I spent hours of troubleshooting some problems recently (like a saving in the rom folder issue) and i finally fixed them by adding the “.dll” part in the config name. And it seems like i need both cfg files as well.

I believe the dll ones are created by the per-core configs option. They should take effect as soon as the core is loaded. Overrides will only take effect once a game is loaded, IIRC.

Personally, I don’t recommend per-core configs because they can cause some unexpected behavior. We left them in because a lot of people had already invested a lot of time into them but overrides are generally more reliable and predictable in pretty much every way.

[QUOTE=hunterk;43700]I believe the dll ones are created by the per-core configs option. They should take effect as soon as the core is loaded. Overrides will only take effect once a game is loaded, IIRC.

Personally, I don’t recommend per-core configs because they can cause some unexpected behavior. We left them in because a lot of people had already invested a lot of time into them but overrides are generally more reliable and predictable in pretty much every way.[/QUOTE] How exactly these overrides work though? Are they separate cfg files? I use RA for so long and i still can’t figure it out.

I used per core configs to make things easier to setup since i use so many different systems with hundreds of games each, plus i use RetroArch with at least 2 different frontends (LaunchBox, Hyperspin).

I still haven’t found a decent tutorial that explains all this.

[QUOTE=GemaH;43715]How exactly these overrides work though? Are they separate cfg files? I use RA for so long and i still can’t figure it out.

I used per core configs to make things easier to setup since i use so many different systems with hundreds of games each, plus i use RetroArch with at least 2 different frontends (LaunchBox, Hyperspin).

I still haven’t found a decent tutorial that explains all this.[/QUOTE]

I’m working on a detailed guide, I’ll let you know when it’s done soon.

[QUOTE=hunterk;43700]I believe the dll ones are created by the per-core configs option. They should take effect as soon as the core is loaded. Overrides will only take effect once a game is loaded, IIRC.

Personally, I don’t recommend per-core configs because they can cause some unexpected behavior. We left them in because a lot of people had already invested a lot of time into them but overrides are generally more reliable and predictable in pretty much every way.[/QUOTE]

Now I understand better.

I was told to use Configurations Per-core, so I thought it was the only way to do overrides.

However, I think I will still use is because it loads automatic.

Without it you have to manually Load Configuration every time you start a game or else you’ll get the Default retroarch.cfg configurations.

Overrides load automatically too.

I don’t think it does. I just tried.

I turned off Configurations Per-Core.

I load a game from a Playlist.

Any changes I make, such as applying shaders, saves to the Default retroarch.cfg

I have to manually load the config I want before launching a game to get it to work.

[QUOTE=wyzrd;43774]I don’t think it does. I just tried.

I turned off Configurations Per-Core.

I load a game from a Playlist.

Any changes I make, such as applying shaders, saves to the Default retroarch.cfg

I have to manually load the config I want before launching a game to get it to work.[/QUOTE] You also have to turn on Load Overrides Automatically, then place a config file with the name of the core in a folder also using the core name in config. So, “RetroArch/config/Mednafen PCE Fast/Mednafen PCE Fast.cfg” for example. It’s not always easy to know what core name it wants, so it’s easiest to “Create game-options file” from Quick Menu, Options, which will create a folder with the right name for you in config. Then you can delete that options file in there if you don’t need game specific options for that game. The nice thing about overrides is that if you edit the config manually you can just place the options you want that are different from retroarch.cfg in there. And you can make per game override configs using the game’s filename (ex: “RetroArch/config/Mednafen PCE Fast/Castlevania - Rondo of Blood.cfg”).

This should all get a lot easier as Radius figures out a way to save overrides from the menu.

With launchers, there’s no reason to be messing with any of the configuration manipulation options. Just pass configs with -c in your launch line and be done with it.

And if you use a launcher, the -appendconfig command line option is a good way to load system specific options for cores that support multiple systems.

[QUOTE=Awakened;43788]You also have to turn on Load Overrides Automatically, then place a config file with the name of the core in a folder also using the core name in config. So, “RetroArch/config/Mednafen PCE Fast/Mednafen PCE Fast.cfg” for example. It’s not always easy to know what core name it wants, so it’s easiest to “Create game-options file” from Quick Menu, Options, which will create a folder with the right name for you in config. Then you can delete that options file in there if you don’t need game specific options for that game. The nice thing about overrides is that if you edit the config manually you can just place the options you want that are different from retroarch.cfg in there. And you can make per game override configs using the game’s filename (ex: “RetroArch/config/Mednafen PCE Fast/Castlevania - Rondo of Blood.cfg”).

This should all get a lot easier as Radius figures out a way to save overrides from the menu.[/QUOTE]

This doesn’t work.

My settings: https://i.imgur.com/gEPtips.jpg

I had Create game-options file create the named folders and put the cfg’s in. Load Overrides Automatically still only loads the default retroarch.cfg.

Any changes made, such as shaders, always saves to the default retroarch.cfg.

I must always Load Configuration manually when using these settings. Where as Configurations Per-core loads automatic when game is launched with .dll.cfg.

It only works if I use:

Configurations Per-Core

And the .dll.cfg

Then overrides load automatically when launching from Playlist and any settings I change during gameplay saves to the correct .dll.cfg instead of retroarch.cfg.

Use the same name as the folder for your cfg, like:

./configs/snes9x/snes9x.cfg

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;43966]Use the same name as the folder for your cfg, like:

./configs/snes9x/snes9x.cfg[/QUOTE]

That got it to work.

I did: /config/Snes9X Next/Snes9X Next.cfg

Thanks!

Overrides are for now, not practical on Android, as it’s not as easy as on a PC to manually edit config files on this platform (smartphones, tablets and game consoles).