Different input binds for different systems?

The standard input bind menu has buttons that look like a SNES: a. b. x. y. l1. l2.

What if I want to play a Sega game where the buttons are a, b, c and x, y, z? I loaded up the core but in the inputs it still had the SNES buttons.

Is there a way to have different input types for different game systems based on the core since each system has a different set of inputs?

Yeah, you can use the core input remapping (load up a core, load some content and then re-open the menu; it’s on that first screen, known as the ‘quick menu’) to assign the core’s buttons on the virtual “retropad” however you like.

But the Retropad never changes what buttons it has available, right? So for SNES its fine but for a Sega system what would map back to the Z or C button? I have only seen the virtual pad show a, b, x, y but never buttons for other consoles that use other formats.

You can put them wherever you like, typically Z/C go on L1/R1 or R1/R2. If you happen to have a pad with 6 face buttons, you can map those to the retropad however you like and then map the Genplusgx core remapping buttons to match.

The retropad abstraction is just there to translate buttons from a physical pad to a virtual one. It doesn’t impose anything on the physical pad as far as layout is concerned.

Okay I am dense, sorry… But take my pad for example, NES30, its the SNES layout.

Example situation: How do I know which button in the Retropad setting is C? I have no C button on my gamepad and there is no C button listed in Retroarch, so what would I do? For a three button sega emulator I normally map three face buttons to it, but if the program, Retroarch in this case, doesn’t have C called out anywhere how do I know what the emulator translates back to the core for the C input?

Does that make sense? In a dedicated Genesis emulator in the input mapping menu it lists the gamepad for that system, a b and C, so I can do what you said, map whatever physical buttons to the virtual layer, but here the Retroarch mapping menus never change no matter what core is loaded, unless I am doing something wrong…

Load up a Genesis core (usually genplusgx) and then load up some content and then go back into your menu. It will take you to the ‘quick menu’ with options to save states, modify core options, etc. One of those options is ‘core input remapping options’, which lets you change the way the core maps to the retropad. This is where you can change C from the default mapping of A(?) to L1 or whatever else you like.

That was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks.