Different input per core

Hello, i read several threads on this but i really need your help.

I have windows 10 and Retroarch stable version 1.3.4 , i plugged on my pc 3 different gamepads (they’re always connected) Genesis controller, Snes and Nes controller. I put ON the voice “configuration per core” , then i loaded SNES core and changed input settings. If i load GENESIS core and i change input settings, Retroarch doesn’t remember this configuration “per core” (it takes in memory always the latest)

Is it possible having a different input gamepad according to the core selected ?

Yeah, you’re better off using the configuration override system than per-core configurations, which can be temperamental.

Configuration ovverride is manual o in auto mode ? Please tell me how to do that. At the moment the only way to use 3 different gamepads is to configure them in 3 different Retroarch folders.

In the same place in the settings where you turn on per-core configuration, there’s another option to automatically load overrides. Turn off per-core and turn that one on. Quit RetroArch to make sure the setting is written to your main retroarch.cfg.

Now, if you open your configuration directory and make a subdirectory inside of it with the name of the core you want to use (for example, ‘nestopia’), you can put a small config file inside there (in this case, named nestopia.cfg; it should match the folder name) that contains only the things you want to override. In your case, it will just be the ‘input’ stuff that you want to change. You can also put in shaders, aspect ratios, whatever, but only put in the things you want to override from your main retroarch.cfg.

Note: The overrides don’t take effect until you actually load content with a core, so most of the time you’ll be using the options in your main retroarch.cfg for navigation, etc.

But how exactly do you do that? How do you create this override config file i mean?

I can say after have struggled several days on these attempts, that this feature is broken. Retroarch.cfg is always loaded forcing to use the input setting present in this configuration. I followed your suggestions, but maybe i made some mistakes, because i don’t know which core name put in the folder and i don’t know the guide how to create a .cfg able to overwrite the retroarch.cfg

At the moment the only working solution is having different folders with customized settings or using retroarch --config thing.

One trick to figure out the correct name to use is to enable Sort Savestates in Folders in Saving settings. Load a core and game and RetroArch will create a folder in your States directory (probably have to set one in directory settings first) with the core name you want to also use for overrides.

Ok it should be the name of dll core without “_” Example : snes9x_next_libretro --> Snes9X Next (folder) --> Snes9X Next.cfg (configuration file)

I try to put this folder and file under configuration folder and Retroarch show “configuration override loaded” , so glad to hear that it works, it’s a bit tricky anyway :slight_smile: For core configuration file i just copied the portion of retroarch.cfg file that i want to override (in my case Joystick ID and keys assignment)