Disappointed in 1.3.2

Hey there, a long time fan of RetroArch, since the days of 9 and 10 releases.

Ever since 1.0.0.2.1, I’ve happily sat on the version for years… playing PS1 games and Nintendo 64.

Finally now that 1.3.2 is released, ( I had learned from previous experiences and installed it on my old 4S) I decided to give it a try and didn’t really find it all that easy to use.

The interface looks great, the PSP feel is nice… but I feel things have just become more and more complicated.

Firstly, why must we download our own cores? Why do we have to choose the specific cores we wish to use? In 1.0.0.2.1 every single core was already inside the .deb and Core Detect gave us a small list of what to use. “I like the name of PSX Rearmed, I’m going to use that. :3”

It also looks like some old cores are missing. My PS3 remote won’t connect and I cannot find the option to select BTStack.

Have many users even upgraded to 1.3.2 on the iPhone?

I am just confused when 1.0.0.2.1 works so perfect, why not just build on how it is currently and make it more efficient, instead of changing so much it’s almost a new app?

I am not trying to start conflict here, just sincerely concerned for the future of RetroArch with myself trying to keep using it.

If we include the cores… people complain about too many cores If we don’t people complain about downloading

We’re not bundling the cores again for licensing reasons. As simple as that.

Core Detect should still work if you download cores.

1.0.0.2 is two years old, and while you might be having issues, there are many many many more platforms than iOS (and actually we have never had iOS testers other than the main dev that can’t possibly test and keep developing). Not sure about the BTstack issues, I don’t really have an iOS device.

I see… I didn’t know there was a licensing issue with the cores all being bundled. And yes I’m aware there’s many others than just iPhone, but don’t just leave us behind…

Not sure why people would complain about there being too many cores though unless they’re overly hesitant about what to pick in the first place.

So there’s no hope for the old UI to come back? Even something similar to this? https://i.warosu.org/data/vr/img/0012/27/1385558640760.png

[QUOTE=Darnassus;36299]I see… I didn’t know there was a licensing issue with the cores all being bundled. And yes I’m aware there’s many others than just iPhone, but don’t just leave us behind…

Not sure why people would complain about there being too many cores though unless they’re overly hesitant about what to pick in the first place.

So there’s no hope for the old UI to come back? Even something similar to this? https://i.warosu.org/data/vr/img/0012/27/1385558640760.png[/QUOTE]

That gui is still there but it doesn’t support touch. Settings/drivers/menu change it to rgui

I actually REALLY like not being bombarded with 7 differant mame cores, and cores for systems I’ve never heard of, and all sorts of other stuff.

This new format allows me to keep my build as simple as I need it. Which makes it immeasurably easier to make changes when necessary. I hated scrolling through a list of 300 cores trying to find a specific one.

[QUOTE=SkyHighGam3r;36315]I actually REALLY like not being bombarded with 7 differant mame cores, and cores for systems I’ve never heard of, and all sorts of other stuff.

This new format allows me to keep my build as simple as I need it. Which makes it immeasurably easier to make changes when necessary. I hated scrolling through a list of 300 cores trying to find a specific one.[/QUOTE]

I guess you do have a strong point there.

I understand what you mean Darnassus, but it really comes down to how open source development works. Keep in mind that the devs are working on it in their spare time and for no payment. They will obviously work on whatever they feel is more interesting or is fun to work on. I think we should give them credit for revolutionizing emulation, what they’ve done with Retroarch is nothing short of amazing.

With everything available on github, if you are really interested I suggest getting into development. Fork, improve and create pull requests.

What cores are included in a package really comes down to the distribution and whoever packaged it. It’s unimportant. You have the tools available to pull and build whatever cores and versions you like.