Disc 1 > Disc 2 (ERROR) (How to swap?)

Hey there. I’ve got RetroArch on my iPhone 4S, I’m playing a game like Abe’s Exoddus and it’s a two-part game. When you finish with the first Disc, it asks to insert Disc 2. I exit RetroArch and load Disc 2, but then it asks to insert Disc 1.

It seems it wants me to have Disc 1 loaded, then make a ‘special transition’ to Disc 2, not just exit RetroArch and load the second bin file.

So, I figured out how to queue Discs by using ‘Disc Options’ however this does not work either…

What do I do??

Game: Abe’s Exoddus

Platform: PS1 ( Emulated on iPhone 4S )

Source: Coolrom

Appending through the disc options is how most people do it, I think. You can also rename your memory card file to match the second disc and it should pick it up.

When I append, the disc gets loaded right away the moment I set it, making it stuff up.

How can I rename the save to the second disc? The territory is completely different…

Exit, find the memory card file, which should be named something that matches the first disc’s filename. Rename it to match the second disc’s filename. Re-launch RetroArch, load up the second disc and it should see the saved data.

Oh wait, I just read somewhere that I’m supposed to load the .CUE files when I play RetroArch…

I’ve always loaded the .bin files… would that be my problem?

I never loaded the .CUE files since RetroArch couldn’t read them, though I noticed my problem was I kept clicking the wrong Core since the list order changes when you click a .CUE instead of a .BIN

Should I ALWAYS be loading the .CUE files?

Using .CUE’s didn’t do much… can you explain more on how to edit the save files…?

say you have disc1.iso and disc2.iso. You’ve played disc1, so you have disc1.srm or .mcr or whatever. Rename disc1.srm to disc2.srm. Load disc2.iso in RetroArch, it should see disc2.srm as its own save file.

I’m so sorry Hunterk I think I need a much more detailed explanation… thank you so far though.

I know my stuff, though not everything hehe. I’m still fiddling with it, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtYJyYrS8aI

Here’s a video to show how it works. It’s in German I apologize, I don’t speak German either, it’s simply to show how the disc prompt shows.

You jump into a hole, it asks for Disc 2, then you continue on from there into the second half of the game.

/cry

I don’t mean to necro, but I’ve got the same problem (can’t get to load the second disk of Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus) and after bashing my head against it for a couple of minutes doing a lot of tentatives, I’ve solved it.

I didn’t watch the video, I’m Italian so I believe I couldn’t get a lot out of it anyway.

I’ve tried creating the .m3u file with the name of the two .cue files inside it. No dice. I’ve tried saving state when the prompt appeared, renaming it to fit disc 2, boot disc 2 and load it to no avail. I’ve tried changing disk by appending the second when the prompt appeared, from Quick Menu → Disk Options → Disk Image Append. No way Josè. I’ve tried changing disk index to ‘no disk’ as explained in this wiki article. Not a chance Lance, I couldn’t manually change the index in any way. I tried ejecting the virtual drive by hitting ‘Disk Cycle Tray Status’ in the Disk options. No such luck.

Then I understood my error. After doing the last thing I tried, I must close the quick menu the resume emulation and let my virtual PSX notice I’ve opened the tray, otherwise it won’t know I’ve swapped disks and it won’t try to load the second one.

So, to resume everything, you must do as follows:

1. Get to the ‘Please Insert Disc 2’ prompt
  2. Quick Menu (F1) → Disk Options → Disk Cycle Tray Status to open the tray
  3. Hit F1 to close the Quick Menu, resume emulation and notify your virtual console you’ve opened the tray
  4. Hit F1 again to reopen the Quick Menu, hit ‘Disk Image Append’ and select your disc 2 to insert the second disc. The tray will automatically be closed.
  5. ‘Hang on a Sec…’
  6. Voilà

I’m using Retroarch on my Arch Linux laptop, but I believe the same applies to the iOS version (the wiki article is about Android, and solved my problem, with the added caveat of resuming emulation I found out by myself).

Nice. No problem necro-ing if you solved the problem :slight_smile:

I wanted to add a thing. I loaded the state I saved just before entering the FeeCo Depot well (end of disc 1), chainloaded disc 2 and continued playing. Then, when I had enough, saved state and closed.

Later, wanting to continue playing, I directly booted up disc 2, and loaded the state which was done chainlaoding the second disc from the first. The ‘Please Insert Disc 2’ message popped up, even if the disc was already in. Ejecting the disc (opening the tray) and appending the second disc would resume gaming. Basically, after the first chainload, using the states would result in having to “swap discs” (eject disc 2 and insert disc 2) every time you wanted to resume the game.

Personally, I think this is a bug. There is, anyway, a solution. While you are playing on the chainloaded second disc, before closing the game, instead of saving state, save to the memory card. Then, when you want to resume, boot the second disc and load the game from your memory card regularly, as you would do on a material PlayStation. You need to do this just one time. After doing this, you can use the states regularly booting the second disc directly without chainloading.

[QUOTE=HisDudeness;45664]I don’t mean to necro, but I’ve got the same problem (can’t get to load the second disk of Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus) and after bashing my head against it for a couple of minutes doing a lot of tentatives, I’ve solved it.

I didn’t watch the video, I’m Italian so I believe I couldn’t get a lot out of it anyway.

I’ve tried creating the .m3u file with the name of the two .cue files inside it. No dice. I’ve tried saving state when the prompt appeared, renaming it to fit disc 2, boot disc 2 and load it to no avail. I’ve tried changing disk by appending the second when the prompt appeared, from Quick Menu → Disk Options → Disk Image Append. No way Josè. I’ve tried changing disk index to ‘no disk’ as explained in this wiki article. Not a chance Lance, I couldn’t manually change the index in any way. I tried ejecting the virtual drive by hitting ‘Disk Cycle Tray Status’ in the Disk options. No such luck.

Then I understood my error. After doing the last thing I tried, I must close the quick menu the resume emulation and let my virtual PSX notice I’ve opened the tray, otherwise it won’t know I’ve swapped disks and it won’t try to load the second one.

So, to resume everything, you must do as follows:

1. Get to the ‘Please Insert Disc 2’ prompt
  2. Quick Menu (F1) → Disk Options → Disk Cycle Tray Status to open the tray
  3. Hit F1 to close the Quick Menu, resume emulation and notify your virtual console you’ve opened the tray
  4. Hit F1 again to reopen the Quick Menu, hit ‘Disk Image Append’ and select your disc 2 to insert the second disc. The tray will automatically be closed.
  5. ‘Hang on a Sec…’
  6. Voilà

I’m using Retroarch on my Arch Linux laptop, but I believe the same applies to the iOS version (the wiki article is about Android, and solved my problem, with the added caveat of resuming emulation I found out by myself).[/QUOTE]

After doing all this… can you still save / load on this disc?