Does Netplay work on Android?

Has anyone done it? it’d be pretty cool to play some SNES or PS1 games over the net on my phone.

Supposedly yes, but I have yet to get netplay to work on any platform. Usually it freezes or disconnects.

It works fine yeah

Nice to see you’ve still got the “it works for me, therefore it works” attitude

Don’t pick a fight, please.

OP asked a question, I replied, most of the time I just ignore you.

Last time I tried a nightly (3 weeks ago?) + Snes9x between two Samsung phones on the same wifi network, it would not work. It connected then instantly disconnected regardless of delay frames or port used. So “works fine” is incorrect. “Works sometimes” is more accurate.

t’s not my fault that your wifi is shitty and that you don’t understand how wifi works. “two Samsung phones on the same wifi network”. Is this supposed to be good? and ideal scenario? both on the same network will effectively HALVE AVAILABLE BANDWIDTH and increase latency and packet loss.

He asked if it works. it works it’s implemented correctly and it works if you know what you’re doing. Netplay over wifi is bad, it’s bad in COD, it’s bad in source engine, it’s bad on quake, and it’s bad for gamestream (heck they recommend to have the server side on wired ethernet).

As for me, it works fine for my two shields over wifi (I connect one to 2.4 and one to 5GHz)

As for you thatcaguy, get of my back, I still haven’t seen a single helpful post from you so shut up or go back to your favorite anonymous board.

@OP I have a small guide here that might be useful to you http://blog.andressm.org/retroarch-netplay-on-android/

The wifi isn’t shitty. Devices are close to the router, wireless N on a performance router. 0% packet loss and 3-5 ms latency. The same exact network runs WinKawaks netplay (on wifi-connected computers) and PPSSPP netplay (android phone to pc) just fine. If you are trying to say that netplay only works in a LAN setting with virtually no latency, then the netplay code is not robust enough in comparison to other emulators.

I’m only on your back because you make it so. I’ve come to the forum and github to report legitimate issues only to have you be dismissive. In comparison, the other open source projects I’ve contributed to have been much more friendly, open to discussion, etc.

Winkawaks only passes inputs. PPSSPP is based on native PSP’s netplay. It’s not the same at all. They are not comparing state data. You just don’t know what you’re talking about Cry me a river, my issues don’t have priority. You’ve had this attitude from the very beginning, and you have no idea of who you’re talking about either, I have gone as far as buying the devices to get them to work for users (Fire Stick, Shield Portable)…

I ask them to go to #retroarch and spend days (literally) with them helping them solve their issues.

The PSP issue… USER ISSUE, deal with it, and even then I didn’t close it. If anyone wants to chime in and propose an alternative or send a PR it’s there open for everyone to do so. The rest are feature requests, those aren’t legitimate issues, those are things YOU THINK would be nice to have. People can always agree or disagree.

Since you don’t understand things, let me explain why Wii netplay would be mostly useless:

• The wii is really not powerful enough
  • We don’t have a socket implementation
  • The save states are not compatible because the Wii is Big endian, most of our other platforms are Little endian, making the Wii only able to use netplay with other Big endian platforms, too much effort for a niche feature for a niche system

You started this stupid argument with your stupid remarks

F* OFF

the other open source projects I’ve contributed to have been much more friendly, open to discussion, etc.

yeah right, big time contribution, open issues and feature requests and discuss them

This thread is going nowhere. Locking.

Netplay works for us, it may not work for you. We provide no guarantees.

End of story.