Does RA on Linux still have a slightly higher input lag than windows?

In the old input lag threads its mentioned that Linux adds 1+ frame over windows. Is that still true? Does that include Lakka?

I have no way to truly test it, but I tried it out on Manjaro and it did feel a tad slower than I’m used to.

1 Like

They should be identical. Brunnis has a thread about it.

1 Like

His was the thread i read about the extra lag

Were the tests using retropie or something else that uses KMS? AFAIK, those setups always have one frame of lag more due to triple buffering in the KMS driver.

Proper Linux desktops don’t have this issue, as long as you make sure you don’t enable triple buffering.

No it was just RA in Linux. I read it a few weeks ago and now i cant find it. The lag threads are massive :confused:

On manjaro even navigating the RA menus felt every so slightly slow. :confused:

Maybe the compositor is active? I use KDE, and before launching RA, I press Alt+Shift+F12 to disable the desktop compositor.

1 Like

Yea, it was on. Is turning it off a “requirement” for good RA performance on Linux? Does Lakka have a compositor?

(i’m a Linux newb)

Yes. Unless the compositor you use has a setting to automatically turn itself off for fullscreen applications. There’s also a setting in RetroArch that disables the compositor, if the compositor actually supports turning itself off when applications ask it to.

I just do it manually. Alt+Shift+F12 is a compositor off/on toggle in KDE.

No idea.

Lakka runs via KMS AFAIK.

Ah, right. Then it’s up to the KMS driver to not do triple buffering. I’ve heard the intel driver forces it on by default.

Thanks RealNC I’ll try turning it off next time i try linux