Dolphin always defaults video output to 2560x544@55Hz on my Sony CRT

Hello,

When launching NTSC games, Dolphin core always selects 2560x544@55hz as its default resolution. I can manually correct the problem by going to Settings>Video>Output>Screen Resolution and selecting 2560x480@60hz which then works perfectly for Dolphin - picture is centered and sound is playing without skipping. This method works but once Retroarch is restarted it switches back again to 2560x544@55hz. So each time I launch Retroarch and Dolphin, I have to manually set the resolution all over again.

CRT Switchres is working fine on my system and Snes, Genesis, Nes, PSX, Dreamcast and Saturn, all work fine and they correctly select their resolutions on my Sony CRT. Both Interlaced and Progressive resolutions work fine.

I’m using Retroarch version 1.12.0 and latest Dolphin core on my Sony Trinitron CRT with CRT Emudriver 18.5.1 and Radeon 7850 and Windows 10 x64.

Please let me know how to fix this problem. Maybe it’s just a simple issue?

Many thanks for your help!

1 Like

I managed to fix the Dolphin problem by deleting the following resolutions from “user_modes - super.ini” file and running vmmaker utility:

These are the resolutions I deleted:

2560 x 496 @ 60.000000 super 2560 x 512 @ 59.000000 super 2560 x 544 @ 55.000000 super 2560 x 560 @ 54.000000 super

Once these resolutions have been deleted, Dolphin decided to choose 2560 x 480 @ 60 which works perfectly.

However, this is not a solution to the Dolphin resolution problem as these deleted resolutions are required for GroovyMAME arcade emulator.

Any help would be much appreciated! Many thanks!

You will likely have to get a hold of @alphanu and see if he can do a fix so Dolphin uses somewhat realistic switching. I say “somewhat realistic” because the core’s scaling is screwed up in the first place also affecting non-crt output. I haven’t tried standalone Dolphin in years, so I don’t know if you can get somewhat accurate (pixel perfect) output by now even there. The switchres docs https://docs.libretro.com/guides/crtswitchres/

suggest you can use overrides for a prefered resolution. Otherwise, you can always just use the Dolphin core with your prefered resolution by turning switchres off.

Thank you so much @Jamirus for your reply. :smiley: I will try your suggestions and report back here.

Your problem sounds a lot like my problem.

Im gonna check this post later to see if you get a solution

I created separate Retroarch installation folder with just a Dolphin core in it. I have disabled CRT Switchres and Dolphin works this way. Everything seems fine, I play it in 640x480 and it fills the screen perfectly. The only thing is that when I exit Retroarch, it sets Windows Desktop resolution to 640x480 instead of 768x576.