Dolphin Continuously Crashes Upon Content Run

Whenever I try to load content for the dolphin core to play on it crashes as soon as I press run. I have looked up and down google for an answer I am at a loss as to what to do. [INFO] === Build ======================================= [INFO] CPU Model Name: Apple M1 [INFO] Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AES AVX AVX2 [INFO] Built: Feb 2 2023 [INFO] Version: 1.14.0 [INFO] ================================================= [INFO] === Build ======================================= [INFO] CPU Model Name: Apple M1 [INFO] Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AES AVX AVX2 [INFO] Built: Feb 2 2023 [INFO] Version: 1.14.0 [INFO] ================================================= [ERROR] [GL]: GL: Invalid enum. [ERROR] [Video]: Cannot open video driver… Exiting… [ERROR] Fatal error received in: “video_driver_init_internal()”

That is what my log says when it crashes I have looked up the error at the last line “video_driver_init_internal()” but have found no solution. I have tried multiple games just in case it was just a bad rom dump. But that solved nothing. Also when I looked at core info when loading the core, I saw this

I followed the instructions on the dolphin setup doc and I have the Sys folder in the right place it just refuses to accept its existence I do not know if this is related to the crashes but I thought I should mention it.

The only thing I can think of with my dumb brain is maybe it is because I do not have open gl or Vulkan I’m pretty sure I do not have either.

My computer is a late 2020 MacBook Air Apple M1 Chip 8gb memory

I hope someone can help me

Edit: I tried again with full logging and the same result occurs Here is the full log

Log Doc

Are you using a nightly build? If not, there’s no chance of it running at all, as it requires Vulkan and that’s only available via moltenvk in nightly builds. Even then, I’m not sure it’ll work on macOS, but that’s the first thing to check.

I am using a nightly build.

did you set it to use the vulkan video driver in settings > driver? it looks like it’s trying to use OpenGL.

So I have tried to find vulkan driver but it is not present in the nightly build

I re downloaded everything including the latest nightly and nightly(metal) builds

As well as the most recent nightly universal build on GitHub But then I discovered something weird between the versions

vulkan is only available for the nightly(metal) and the universal build

But dolphin is only available to download as a core on the current regular nightly build

Meaning trying to get them both on the same build for macOS seems to be impossible I have already tried putting the libretro core from the nightly build to the downloads folder to restore/install it but the nightly(metal) and universal builds refused to acknowledge the core’s existence

I used two different sunshine roms to test on either one but it still failed

Then I went into the config folder then retroarch.cfg I looked at the value for the video driver and it was set to gl despite on either of the metal or universal builds it being set to vulkan so I changed the value to vulkan and this happened on the nightly build

It booted up but remained frozen in this black screen for 30+ mins then tried again and again getting the same result

Not sure what to do from here

I tried most of the things I can think of (even getting the libretro core from the intel Mac folder on GitHub but no luck)

So progress it hasn’t immediately crashed but it won’t load either

At this point, I don’t think there’s anything else you can do on your end to get it going. We’ll just have to fix it on our end.

The weirdest part is the only video driver available on the most recent nightly build is gl

Despite it being the only version I can find for Mac that has dolphin available for core maybe it is just an oversight? Either way I will try to see if I can get the core to boot up a iso from a different game on the nightly build i have tried 3 different formats for Super Mario Sunshine(Gamecube) So I might try Wii games or different gamecube games.

I have tried super mario galaxy super paper Mario and Metroid prime and the same results occurred. So it definitely isn’t the roms.

Looking at the Dolphin libretro pull requests on github, there is an attempt to update the Dolphin core. Do you have any update on the progress?

No, it’s hung up on a few things at the moment. Good luck to the guy who’s trying, but it’s a tough job that may go nowhere.

Hi all! Sorry to hijack this thread, I’m running into the same issue as the OP. I don’t mind waiting at all for vulkan to be available, but I was wondering if using it was mandatory on (recent) Apple machines, or if OpenGL is actually an option in the meantime? “gl” is set as my video driver globally in RetroArch and it seems to be working for other cores, namely Beetle PSX, but I might be misunderstanding something. Thanks, and sorry if my question is silly or out of place!

dolphin-libretro needs higher openGL features than we have available on macOS, so vulkan is indeed necessary for it in our case. I think there may be some other blocking issues with that core at the moment, but the guy who’s been working on Apple support lately has been making great strides, so maybe that will change soon.

1 Like