Dos Version of Red Alert on Dosbox Pure

When I press RA.exe I get this Screen:

Don’t know how I can fix this Issue

Maybe try a config without EMS etc. Memory managers could conflict with DOS/4GW. Same with loading drivers into UMB. I remember having an extra boot option for running these games, usually with below 500K of basic memory available.

The people who help here do so at the cost of their time. Paying attention to what they tell you is a form of respect.

Captura desde 2023-06-16 15-38-23

Sorry @alexb3d just thought the Error Message would be enough.

Okay Here some more Info:

• Using the Windows 64 Bit Version
  • Using the latest Dosbox Pure
  • Using Original Version of Command and Conquer Red Alert from eXoDos
  • Got Same Error when Trying on Dosbox-X

Does that Help? Did I miss anything else that be Handy?

Turned off EMS but still same Error

Memory size goes to 224mb and Tried that but still got same Error

Yeah, doesn’t work for me either. None of the options to run make it work.

I assume some games can’t run directly from those archives and need to be installed properly? had the same issue with some other games like Actua Soccer recently.

2 Likes

So I’m a little confused.

I think @alexb3d’s post and screenshot was to show that the game works.

I didn’t have to do anything except extract the zip, move the contents of the “comconra” folder into the new root, edit the paths in the run.bat, and create a dosbox.conf that calls “run.bat” file.

I know that may sound like a lot, but in my experience it is standard practice when converting eXoDOS to run on Pure.

(BTW. I also had to find a CHOICE.EXE and copy it into the folder.)

Are you trying to load the eXoDOS zip unmodified?

Perform the operations I mentioned above. Then replace the contents of the run.bat with this.

:menu
@echo off
cls
echo.
echo Press 1 for Command & Conquer: Red Alert Allied Campaign
echo Press 2 for Command & Conquer: Red Alert Soviet Campaign
echo Press 3 for Command & Conquer: Red Alert Aftermath
echo Press 4 for Command & Conquer: Red Alert Counter Strike
echo Press 5 for Network Multiplayer
echo Press 6 to Quit
echo.
echo This game contains 4 discs. The choice above loads the required
echo disc for that campaign. If you attempt to start a different
echo campaign than the one you select here, you will have to hit
echo ctrl-f4 to switch through the mounted CD's until you find the
echo right one.
echo.
echo To play the hidden campaign, choose Counterstrike and hold
echo SHIFT while clicking on the speaker on the main menu.
echo.
choice /C:123456 /N Please Choose:

if errorlevel = 6 goto quit
if errorlevel = 5 goto network
if errorlevel = 4 goto CS
if errorlevel = 3 goto AM
if errorlevel = 2 goto RAS
if errorlevel = 1 goto RAA

:RAA
@imgmount d ".\cd\Red Alert CD1.iso" ".\cd\Red Alert CD2.iso" ".\cd\Red Alert Counterstrike CD3.cue" ".\cd\Red Alert Aftermath CD4.cue" -t cdrom 
cd redalert
cls
@ra
goto quit

:RAS
@imgmount d ".\cd\Red Alert CD2.iso" ".\cd\Red Alert CD1.iso" ".\cd\Red Alert Counterstrike CD3.cue" ".\cd\Red Alert Aftermath CD4.cue" -t cdrom 
cd redalert
cls
@ra
goto quit

:AM
@imgmount d ".\cd\Red Alert Aftermath CD4.cue" ".\cd\Red Alert CD1.iso" ".\cd\Red Alert CD2.iso" ".\cd\Red Alert Counterstrike CD3.cue" -t cdrom 
cd redalert
cls
@ra
goto quit

:CS
@imgmount d ".\cd\Red Alert Counterstrike CD3.cue" ".\cd\Red Alert CD1.iso" ".\cd\Red Alert CD2.iso" ".\cd\Red Alert Aftermath CD4.cue" -t cdrom 
cd redalert
cls
@ra
goto quit

:network
@imgmount d ".\cd\Red Alert Aftermath CD4.cue" -t cdrom 
cls
network

:quit
exit

(Only the paths to CD images are changed.)

Then create a dosbox.conf with these contents.

[autoexec] 
c: 
@run.bat

You can load the dosbox.conf in Pure.

If you have

dosbox_pure_conf = "inside"

in your DOSBox-pure.opt, you can zip the folder contents into a “Command and Conquer - Red Alert (1997).dosz” file and it will automatically load in Pure.

1 Like

You don’t have to do this with most games though. The majority of them will run from the zip, unmodified.

1 Like

True, but you are stuck with the internal menu which will put the C:\ root in the wrong place for many games.

My method defines the root as the folder containing the dosbox.conf.

It also, in this case and others, let’s you take advantage of eXo’s hard work in the run.bat file. You get a menu that let’s you pick which campaign you want.

Pure is a lot like MAME in that if you familiarize yourself with how it works, you can get many more games to run than if you just treat eXo’s zips like roms.

Every step I mentioned is second nature to me after only a little time working with Pure.

I tried to run thru Run.bat and it just Crashed.

Got the Log For the Crash:

Yeah I am using the Unzipped Version Un Modfied.

Though Made a 2nd run.bat and Added the Code and then it work - Thanks

Update:

Tried Installing Game from CD Images from eXoDOS and worked fine afterwards

For me it’s a pleasure to help, it’s one of the few things I can do to collaborate with RetroArch. And it helps me to keep my mind calm in these stormy times the world is going through.

Emulating classic DOS and Windows games, and especially this Core, requires a lot of concentration, you have to focus because you have to read a lot.

The information you gave me is not necessary, in the image you shared you can see that it is Windows 10 and that you have PURE 0.9.7.

I knew you were using eXoDOS, because that’s the error. This game works perfect.

In the previous post I commented several times to you and @Duimon, pre-compiled packages like eXoDOS or similar are not recommended.

DOSBox PURE does not need the additional settings that every eXo game has. These settings mostly give errors.

If you want to use eXoDOS, well, use them in DOSBox-SVN or the native one in RetroArch, or you can use DOSBox-X which is very good. DOSBox PURE does not work like this.

For PURE It is recommended to use native images or original files. And use the software as it was originally intended.

Apart from living the original configuration experience, for example, when installing Red Alert, you are going to meet possibly the best installation interface ever created, it is totally immersive that game, from the installation.

1 Like

To install this game you only need to have the two images compressed in a zip file. And start from D:\Install\Setup.exe

At the end, you get a black screen with the following message “Please Standbyte…” here, reboot and run the game from the installation, “c:\weastwood\redalert\ra.exe”

And EDDOS.EXE is the map editor.

1 Like

One note, for future installations, this game uses several installers of the same game and has installers for many other things. This in normal Windows 95 startup.

It has a DOS Installer, a Windows 95 Installer and one to install in DOS from Windows, called “dos box for windows 95”.
(Curiously it has the same name of a famous emulator.)

In MSDOS, the executable in DOS box mode, and the windows executable do not work.

Due to your insistence with eXo, I wanted to tell you some things, but first I would like to know your experience with MSDOS and Windows 9x.
You don’t have any experience with those original systems, right?

1 Like

I tried using Dosbox-X and it would just Crash when I tried to Install Red Alert and Same Error Message when trying load game with RA.exe

I’m sorry but you keep saying this, and I don’t know where you are getting your information. I have access to the same documentation you have and I don’t see this anywhere.

If there is some private documentation then perhaps it should be made public?

Pre installed games work just fine… the only issue is making sure the paths and root are correct.

It is possible that they recommend original installation for copyright reasons, but to push that here is just silly.

And I have mentioned at least as many times that I modify the installation, the batch files, and the dosbox.conf. I am not suggesting to use eXo’s extra settings.

I spent less that a minute getting this game to run, using the eXo library. A time consuming, and sometimes very difficult source installation is just not needed.

No matter what you, or the developer recommend, people are going to use the roms they have in their possession. If we can educate them on how to make them work we are doing the community a service.

1 Like

You are using the unmodified version of the run.bat. Please follow my method first.

Then edit the run.bat paths and create a dosbox.conf.

I posted the needed information, it seems you just skipped over any preparation. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The eXo come preinstalled and configured with the .conf file, if you try to install an eXo you will get an error, to install RA, you need a pretty deep configuration, but I am not an expert in DOSBox, I can’t help you with that but on the internet there are many tutorials on how to install this game.

You have to pay more attention. This is something that is clearly stated in the documentation and I have also explained it to you several times. PURE needs the zip files to create the save, where the virtual disk is saved. The eXo games work unzipped, you can load them in zip, but most of those configurations do not work.

You have the right to think what you want, I respect it, but one thing is certain, I fix the problems, you don’t.
That’s right, stop sharing piracy on the forum.
Even in the official DOSBox forum you are not allowed to share eXo, I have had posts censored, just for mentioning them, thank you for your understanding.

Noone is sharing eXo. Referencing the collection is not the same as providing a link.

Yep. A zip or dosz is needed to save internal changes to the file system.

@alexb3d it appears that both of our solutions work.

Sometimes you need to think outside of the box (Documentation / recommendations.)

You can read through every inch of both the standalone MAME and RA MAME core documentation but it will not help you running the Software list roms.

Sometimes it take some independent experimentation.

1 Like

If you want to use PURE as DOSBox, use DOSBox, it’s the most sensible thing to do.

I already explained in the other message why you can’t mention a compilation that is dedicated only and exclusively to share piracy. I’m not going to talk about it anymore.